Anyone using the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro?

Just wondering if anyone is using this ATO? Mine just came in today. Are there any tips or cons? I read a couple reviews that said the check valve was a problem, but it also sounded like user error on their part. Just curios what those using it think?

jason142

Premium Member
Supporter
I have it on my 6g nano, it works great. The valve is not really a check valve but an anti syphon valve. I have never had an issue with it and works exactly how it is supposed to. I replaced my old ato which was the tunze osmolator nano 3152 because I had constant issues with the float switch sticking so much so that one night it dumped about 4 gallons of ro/di into my 6g. Surprising everything made it through that massive salinity drop, even my harlequin shrimp. So I guess I would say that I highly recommend this ato.

I have it on my 6g nano, it works great. The valve is not really a check valve but an anti syphon valve. I have never had an issue with it and works exactly how it is supposed to. I replaced my old ato which was the tunze osmolator nano 3152 because I had constant issues with the float switch sticking so much so that one night it dumped about 4 gallons of ro/di into my 6g. Surprising everything made it through that massive salinity drop, even my harlequin shrimp. So I guess I would say that I highly recommend this ato.
That was my understanding that there are no parts that can stick and cause malfunction. I've never used an ATO, but this one looked pretty legit. I got it for my 60 cube. It's got about a 4.5' head, but that not supposed to be a problem. Do you leave the tube in the water, or just above water level?

That was my understanding that there are no parts that can stick and cause malfunction. I've never used an ATO, but this one looked pretty legit. I got it for my 60 cube. It's got about a 4.5' head, but that not supposed to be a problem. Do you leave the tube in the water, or just above water level?
Leave the tube above the water but I guess that's why there's a check valve to begin with.

I have this ATO and I am very pleased with it. The sensor is pinpoint accurate and the pump is pretty quiet. The only issue you'll run into is if the sensor gets covered in algae (in my case cyano), it'll malfunction. But if it's not exposed to light for long periods of time like in a sump, it'll work just fine. I highly recommend it. Especially over the Tunze which is really loud. That's the reason I bought this one.

Thanks guys. I definitely know to keep the lens clean. I'll keep the tube slightly out of the water, but I figured that was the purpose of the anti-syphon valve as well. Glad to hear a few others are really liking it. I'll be setting it up soon. Just wanted to make sure I don't overlook something since this is my first one ;)

Thanks guys. I definitely know to keep the lens clean. I'll keep the tube slightly out of the water, but I figured that was the purpose of the anti-syphon valve as well. Glad to hear a few others are really liking it. I'll be setting it up soon. Just wanted to make sure I don't overlook something since this is my first one ;)
What does the anti-syphon valve look like? I didn't even notice I had one included. But either way, keep it out of the water and you should be fine. One word of caution, the magnet on the hose holder is not very strong. Consider using a stronger magnet. The last thing you need is that hose falling on the floor and spilling RO/DI all over.

I use one, have used it over a year now -- It's very good, very accurate, no issues with it. The little 'check valve' isn't a valve, it's just a piece of plastic with a hole in it, the moment water isn't being pushed through the hose by the pump it sucks in air and stops the syphon. Every once in a blue moon this can cause a little leak if put somewhere dumb (I put it somewhere dumb...) Now I have it just *barely* inside the ATO reservoir and it's perfect.

What does the anti-syphon valve look like? I didn't even notice I had one included. But either way, keep it out of the water and you should be fine. One word of caution, the magnet on the hose holder is not very strong. Consider using a stronger magnet. The last thing you need is that hose falling on the floor and spilling RO/DI all over.
Lol, the anti-syphon valve is just a little skinny plastic thing. I'll remember about the magnet for sure. I can ziptie it to my return. Thanks for the heads up :)

I use one, have used it over a year now -- It's very good, very accurate, no issues with it. The little 'check valve' isn't a valve, it's just a piece of plastic with a hole in it, the moment water isn't being pushed through the hose by the pump it sucks in air and stops the syphon. Every once in a blue moon this can cause a little leak if put somewhere dumb (I put it somewhere dumb...) Now I have it just *barely* inside the ATO reservoir and it's perfect.
I read reviews where people had problems with it. I figured it was a simple issue of not following the directions. I think it says to keep it above the water level of the reservoir.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
Ive been using mine over a year now as well. It works way better than the float switch that kept getting stuck. I keep the ATOtube out of the water. To keep the vinyl hose bent correctly I used a 99cent store hard rigid plastic straw and threaded it in to create a U bend. Otherwise the hose wants to naturally peel the magnet off or kink.

I read reviews where people had problems with it. I figured it was a simple issue of not following the directions. I think it says to keep it above the water level of the reservoir.
Correct, the hole in the plastic piece is angled so that water doesn't shoot out of it (Unless you put it on backwards, than water will definitely shoot out of it). If it is above the water line it will pull in air stopping the syphon, if it's below the waterline the syphon will not stop, and the tank will keep filling with water.

Correct, the hole in the plastic piece is angled so that water doesn't shoot out of it (Unless you put it on backwards, than water will definitely shoot out of it). If it is above the water line it will pull in air stopping the syphon, if it's below the waterline the syphon will not stop, and the tank will keep filling with water.
You said your anti-syphon valve is barely inside the ATO reservoir. Does it matter where in the line you put it? Probably a dumb question, but they say the only dumb question is the one you never ask ;)

You said your anti-syphon valve is barely inside the ATO reservoir. Does it matter where in the line you put it? Probably a dumb question, but they say the only dumb question is the one you never ask ;)
Well I actually use a white 5g water jug, not a real ato container. I drilled a small hole in the screw on lid and put the water line through it -- I have that anti-syphon valve just under that lid. I put it there so I could maximize the volume of the 'reservoir' but not get the hose leak back on the floor (water will come out of the anti-syphon valve)

Because I got tired of the hose getting caked with Kalk I've switched up to using saturated kalk water at a 1:4 gallon ratio. Your hose will get caked with kalk, I suggest doing this :)

Well I actually use a white 5g water jug, not a real ato container. I drilled a small hole in the screw on lid and put the water line through it -- I have that anti-syphon valve just under that lid. I put it there so I could maximize the volume of the 'reservoir' but not get the hose leak back on the floor (water will come out of the anti-syphon valve)

Because I got tired of the hose getting caked with Kalk I've switched up to using saturated kalk water at a 1:4 gallon ratio. Your hose will get caked with kalk, I suggest doing this :)
Cool, thanks for the tip! I don't use Kalk so I don't have to worry about that. But good to know about the anti-syphon valve. I plan on doing the same as you, but with something a little smaller.