Question for calcium reactor users

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Question to calcium reactor users:
how often to you clean or do maintenance on you calcium reactor? I ask because I've got a small bed of detritus on top of my media. Makes me wonder if anyone pulls thier media and rinses it from time to time.

Also I want to add more magnesium media to the reactor since I still need to dose 70 ml per day. Would it be a problem to just add some on top or should I pull the media and mix it in like I did originally? My only hesitation with mixing is if I over do the amount and need to remove some.

Question to calcium reactor users:
how often to you clean or do maintenance on you calcium reactor? I ask because I've got a small bed of detritus on top of my media. Makes me wonder if anyone pulls thier media and rinses it from time to time.

Also I want to add more magnesium media to the reactor since I still need to dose 70 ml per day. Would it be a problem to just add some on top or should I pull the media and mix it in like I did originally? My only hesitation with mixing is if I over do the amount and need to remove some.
Most CaRx user that I know, put there neomag in a mesh bag on top of the ARM. Helps if yoh need to remove or replace

My Tank Build
I've read that they recommend u rinse your media or change it out every 3 to 6 months. I'll be honest I've gone a year or so with out rinsing out my calrx. During that year I would just add more on top of the old stuff.

If you're gonna add media, it's the perfect time to rinse the old media. I clean mine out when ever I need to add media or if I have to move the reactor. Every once in a while I turn off the CO2 and run the reactor wide open over night to flush it. That cuts down on detritus build up.

Id say im about once every 9 months or so. I havent been running neomag or dolomite in mine recently though.

I just clean it when the detritus or muck has started to effect the flow in there.

Latest posts