First build thread

Hello SCR the names Donnie, I've been long time lurker and also a member for a while with not much post just more observing learning. So I decided hey with my new build maybe I can get some help from the community with much more experience then I have. Here's a little back round of my experience. I currently have set up a 52x18x12 lps and soft frag. On top I have 2 full spectrum fully controable LEDs. Under I have a 36x12x16 sump both sump and tank are made from John at advanced acrylics. 50 lbs or live rock and same about 30 lbs live sand. I run a dct 8000 manifolded to a carbon and gfo reactors made from bubble magnums. I also have a curve 5 skimmer which I can say skims like a beast. 2 eheim 250w heaters. A block of marine pure in the refugium sectioN. The tank sits on a wooden stand and all plumbing is regular ugly white plumbing for the time being. Well that got old everyone. I love to show off cosmetics and with the ugly wooden stand and ugly plumbing i just through together not know much. I've decided to start over and take my time and set up my tank to be not just a show tank on the top. But to have people be able to see what hard work is going on under the tank as well.

those are my durso drains sticking out.love the look when its colored pipe its gonna look sweet!!! thanks for the welcomes. When i get home Ill post some more pics of what coming up in the new build

So I started with the stand. It's 2 in steel 120 thick. Stands dimensions are 52 1/2 x 18 3/4 x 36h. Got it welded by my boy victor in Whittier. He does great work and is very easy to deal with. Here's some pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SantaMonicaHelp

Welcome Donnie,

The tank looks so pretty :proud:
and your boy Victor did a fantastic job.

What made you decided to build the tank?

My neck is as long as giraffe waiting for more pictures coming up soon

- Sumi

Well my love for building things pushed me to building that reef tank.now that I really understand and been lurking at others ideas and just wanting to overall make my tank presentable. It's like a car to me I'll build it up and love to show it off. When my family comes over all the kids and adults think it's the center piece to the house. So I'm going for the more wow factor now.

So I decided to coat the stand in bed liner from Herculiner. This product rocks. With ease it just went over like nothing. I primed it first with some good old rustolium primer and coated with the liner

Thanks sumi yeah I love the texture I coated three times. Tomorrow I will be grabbing my plyboard for on top and painting it as well. I update that right when I'm working on it. Btw that will be a little textured as well. Just cause I'm crazy like that. Every tank i put banner cutting board under I'll show you pics of the material as well.

who knew homedepot had a scrap wood section. 49.00 pine ply for 9.00 bucks. Thanks to my boy I would have spent 49.00. Had them cut to exact size. Double checked cause I've ran into issues at my homedepot with short cuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My paint choice it's deck cover. Textured.

Threw down my first coat

Using regular roller gonna blast the next coat with my textured roller tomorrow

deefish714

Put down the final coats on the ply board up top. I'm gonna put another piece of ply board on the bottom of the stand as well. I didn't plan on this at first so I didn't get cross beams for the bottom. I'm going to cut three more tubes and just coat and place between the stand so the ply boards have supports under it. The ply it's has wooden shims between the stand and it self because the paint was still a little wet

So I ended up cutting all wood and painting today.

Was gonna call it a day but the wife took son shopping so I said might as well finish.
stands built about ready to tear down old system and plumb on this stand