General consensus Ich question

Just a general question. But whaat does everyone here do in the event of an Ich outbreak when you have a well established reef and transferring fish to QT isn't an option? I don't have Ich, just wondering what others do?

Will need to medicate your tank, possibly run a UV and keep your fish well fed. Less stress to the fish will help fight off ich but your tank will never be ich free. I usually soak my frozen food with garlic and prizo to help the fishes immune system.

Will need to medicate your tank, possibly run a UV and keep your fish well fed. Less stress to the fish will help fight off ich but your tank will never be ich free. I usually soak my frozen food with garlic and prizo to help the fishes immune system.
What would you use for medication in a reef?

I ask as a total general question. Reason being is that I'm also in a SW group on FB. Some newbs, some with full reefs. But whenever the question of how to treat Ich pops up, the only acceptable answer is QT. The nebies don't understand that's not an option in a large established reef. So I'm wondering what people here do as most have large reefs.

borg

I dont think there's any reef safe medicine that you can use to fully remove ich from tanks. What you can do though is manage it. dorkymk3 mentioned a couple of things like UV and keeping them well fed ( with live foods, vitamins, etc.) will help to build their immune system

Diatom filters, not overstocking, staying from ich magnet fish, etc.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Treatment for ich makes people think someone is asking how to eradicate ich. In that case there is no reef safe fix. That leaves you with:
Good water quality
Lowering stress factors - like a tank bully
Feeding immune boosting supplements & medications to help fish hold ich symptoms at bay
Understanding that a stressful event like a new fish addition or large temp swing will more than likely trigger visible symptoms in "prone" fish.
Keeping the fish well fed is a big one - with the correct foods.

It's been like 5 years since I've dealt with Ich. I had it a few times in my past tanks over the years. Obviously keeping up water quality and keeping the fish stress free is important, as well as keeping fish healthy and well fed. I've dosed vitamin C for years. I think it helps a lot with the fish's immune systems. When I did have Ich in the past I used Hikari Ich X reef formula and had excellent success. I've heard others say the same about other brands. Just wondering if anyone uses any of those in conjuction with added vitamin, supplements, and water quality?

I fought ich early on, after a number of battles I find the following helped me.

1. Adding garlic to food
2. I soak the food in something called Metro+
3. Water quality, water quality.

As mentioned the lowering of stress really helps. I immediately start doing lots of small water changes, sometimes twice per day to have the best quality of water. I like to think of it as drink lots of fluid. I do it in small batches to keep away from accidental swings. I do about 5% per day, sometimes two 5% changes. I have not had a break out in a few years, but generally it was related to not keeping up with water changes and the fish got stressed.

Dave