Ph low. New tank. Help

Iansdad

Just started a new saltwater tank about 10 days ago. Have live rock the I got from the guy who sold me the tank. It's a 60 gallon tank with a sump. Have the heater going also. I got 3 things of established water from a friend and filled the rest from a reef store. I can't understand why my ph is only at 7.0. No fish or coral on the tank. Not sure if it has even started to cycle yet. Should I add some chromis to help speed up the cycle? Or get the ph up a different way. I'm a newbie so any help would be appreciated. I also have a powerhead and 2 return lines running. Thanks

Don't speed up the process of adding fish. Just let the tank go on cruise control. Add a raw shrimp to help with the cycle. Also make sure your heater gets the water temp at least 74degrees.

I wouldn't worry yet about pH. Just relax, go through with the cycle, and test ammonia and nitrite right now.

Once Ammonia is zero, test nitrite and Nitrate.

Keep your heater on and water circulated.

I would not add any fish right now.

Also, how did you find out your pH is at 7.0

ChevelleJason

Premium Member
Supporter
Really curious as well regarding your salt mix and test method. You could try pointing a power head at the surface of the water to aid in gas exchange and open a window near the tank for some fresh air.

Latest posts