what is this weird anemone thing? Friend or foe?

It does look like a ball Nem which I would consider a pest because it can spread and sting your corals. If you are able to remove the rock, just scrape it off with a flat head screwdriver. If you are unable to remove it, go to walmart and get (mrs. Wages pickling lime) aka kalk and mix up a ratio 50/50 with ro di water. Shake in a small bottle until its throughly mix and squirt right on top of the nem making sure to cover the entire top disk. Turning off the flow will allow the kalk paste to remain on the nem for longer. Try to avoid getting any on your corals.

Avoid using more than you have to because it will change your ph at some point. I like it because its just kalk which your reef will benefit from :)

Id leave it personally. I think they are cool looking. They dont spread like majano or aiptasia. They usually die off anyway in our brightly lit tanks.

Bigpapii

They're strawberry nems
I got a few in my tank
Doesn't like the light and haven't hurt any of my corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a majano. Scrap it off
Thanks for the reply!

It's a ball anemone. You can cover it with kalk or super glue or laser it.
Thanks for the reply!

It does look like a ball Nem which I would consider a pest because it can spread and sting your corals. If you are able to remove the rock, just scrape it off with a flat head screwdriver. If you are unable to remove it, go to walmart and get (mrs. Wages pickling lime) aka kalk and mix up a ratio 50/50 with ro di water. Shake in a small bottle until its throughly mix and squirt right on top of the nem making sure to cover the entire top disk. Turning off the flow will allow the kalk paste to remain on the nem for longer. Try to avoid getting any on your corals.

Avoid using more than you have to because it will change your ph at some point. I like it because its just kalk which your reef will benefit from :)
Super Thanks for the long instructional response!

Id leave it personally. I think they are cool looking. They dont spread like majano or aiptasia. They usually die off anyway in our brightly lit tanks.
I think so to. I was hoping that was true!

I consider them harmless. Have a bunch in the dark area in my tank so they are never near corals.
Thanks for the reply!

They're strawberry nems
I got a few in my tank
Doesn't like the light and haven't hurt any of my corals
How big do they get?

I'm with you. I love them too, but never seem to have them show up in my tank. That looks almost like a strawberry anemone. One of my faves, but a cold water species.

Bigpapii

The biggest one in my tank is in my sump which is 1.5cm but it's cuz I feed them my phyto that I culture

Latest posts