Salt Mix

The reason I asked, is because I left my salt mixing for 4 days with pump and heater. I didn't think much of it since I have done it before. So when I tested my water in my tanks I noticed a drop. So I tested the water still in the container and sure enough it dropped to 7.8 dkh, so from 12 dkh to 7.8 is a lot to drop in 4 days. I was like wtf... I did contact them and they said this is due to the pump heating the water too much blah blah blah. Their instructions do say to mix 30min to 2 hrs max at 68 degrees, and once its fully mixed then you can add a heater. To turn off the pump once is mixed and heated. So wanted to see who else noticed this. I've always used D&D but its hard to come by those from my LFS since price went up on them because of shipping!
That almost sounds like bullshit to me.

Almost.

Im going to buy a small amount of this salt and try and figure out why it would do that.

What is the TDS in the water you are mixing with it? What is your source for the freshwater?

Sent from my 1+3 via Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
That almost sounds like bullshit to me.

Almost.

Im going to buy a small amount of this salt and try and figure out why it would do that.

What is the TDS in the water you are mixing with it? What is your source for the freshwater?

O tds, 6 stage spectrapure rodi, 300gpd with 3 di filters.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You probably already heard this but I also noticed that people had parameter problems with the salt. They stated it was because of storage and shipping the trace elements would sink in the bucket. So they roll the bucket around on the floor to get the trace elements properly mixed. Don't ask me how true it is because I'm on my first bucket but have seen it posted more than once so maybe it has some truth to it .

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You probably already heard this but I also noticed that people had parameter problems with the salt. They stated it was because of storage and shipping the trace elements would sink in the bucket. So they roll the bucket around on the floor to get the trace elements properly mixed. Don't ask me how true it is because I'm on my first bucket but have seen it posted more than once so maybe it has some truth to it .

This makes a whole lot more sense.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM

Yup, i roll my 5 gallon around

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

So it is true. Good thing I rolled it around just in case. i felt kind of weird doing it because it all looks the same. lol

Currently I throw 5 gallons of water in a tub, 10 gallons worth of salt, and a pump. 20 minutes later (when my jug has been refilled) I add the other 5 gallons. Once the salt is fully dissolved I take 10 gallons out of the display and pump the new water in the sump.

The way I used to do it in my 225G:

Take 5 gallons out of the display, dump 5 gallons of rodi water in the sump, dump 2.5 cups of salt in the sump... done.... but like Eric I would only do water changes once or twice a year if that (you do have to dose carbon, bacteria, and trace elements if you don't do water changes.)

The only reason I'm doing water changes now is because I'm experimenting with running zeovit as recommended. Lately I've gotten lazy and I haven't done a water change this year... tank still looks good so I might go back to no water changes.

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
I'm using Brightwell Neo Marine salt mix and d a wc of 5g weekly. Mix it and take the reading of the salinity to match with the tank water. Remove 5g of water from the sump, try to remove as much detrius as possible and pump the newly batch into the sump. No mixing over night, make it and use it.