Need some input

I have a 4 year old jbj 28 mixed reef tank. I'm thinking of taking out the ceramic rings that came stock in the tank. I have about 3 in. Sand bed and 20 lbs of live rock. I also have been using long black filter pads down the outside baffles. This was the setup up when I got it so I stuck with it. I have been fighting green hair algae so I'm trying to get rid of anything that will cause phosphates and nitrates. I do rinse the rings with water changes. I have been lazier with the filters. Not sure they are even necessary.

I'm going to replace the ceramic rings compartment with chemi pure elite. I also use purigen.

Will taking the rings and long filter pads out cause an issue? Will I loose any good bacteria? Should I do rings wait a week then filter pads?
Thanks for any input.
Deric

You will definitely lose some bacteria after ditching the filter pads but most likely it's probably becoming a nitrate factory. When I had my 22g AIO nano I ditch all filter pads/floss. I just kept some live rock rubble and ran Chem pure elite and a protein skimmer along with a small fuge growing cheato. Worked very well for 2yrs straight till I sold the tank.

Latest posts