1st ever 10 gallon nano reef tank

Hey guys my name is Tony, and I thought this would be a good start or opportunity for me to start and post a build thread on my very 1st attempt with saltwater. This is more of a trial and error build that I will be using to help guide myself into hopefully keeping a successful reef tank. Mistakes will be made along the way so I'll be happy to hear constructive criticism that'll help me someday establish a successful and vibrant reef tank. As of now I want to keep this build as simple, low maintenance and low budget if that's possible :laugh:. Nothing is for sure at the moment but I plan on maybe keeping a pair of clowns, a goby, and some cleanup crew. Before this, I've enjoyed growing freshwater plants so I know coral will peek my interest. Along the process I will try my best to update with info and pics. Thanks for following!

setup:
standard 10 gallon (20x10x12") with glass lid
egg crate
Caribsea arag-alive fiji pink (20 lb)
CaribSea dry rock and live rock
zoo med canister filter
Fluval thermometer
Hydor Koralia nano 240gph powerhead
Purigen
Chemi-pure elite

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Good luck dood! I've got a 10 gallon too. It's been up for like 7 months. About to upgrade.

My first tank was a 10 gallon also. Oh what fun it was but troublesome also. Boy that was a longtime ago lol. Gl with your first. Just remember to take everything slow, things change fast in a nano. Keep up with the testing.

I saw you have a glass cleaner. Just be careful, mine has scratched the glass up a bunch. I think it's when it picks the sand up and drags it.. but hard to tell exactly when sand gets in it. I try not to..

a 10 gallon saltwater tank is a lot of work. a lot of people think smaller is easier, when it comes to saltwater tho, the bigger the better. I've been running small tanks recently hence the name nanoreefer.. but I used to run very large tanks 125, 160, 240 and 400 gallon. those larger tanks gave me very little problems. these stinkin nano tanks are a hand full.. can't wait to buy our house so I can get out of nano reefing.. If at all possible go with a 55-60 gallon setup.

I don't want to discourage you tho, if you are up to the challenge go for it! this forum will be a great help.

PS, if you do stick with this tank, I would install an ATO system on it. otherwise your salt levels will fluctuate way too much.

PSS, skip the canister filter, I tried going that rout at first but it became an issue fast, especially when I didn't have to time to clean it out at least once a week to avoid nitrate problems. It could work with heavy maintenance tho.

My first ever nano which is currently my sump to be in my 37 Tall build. (11.5 gallon)

My first tank was a 10 gallon also. Oh what fun it was but troublesome also. Boy that was a longtime ago lol. Gl with your first. Just remember to take everything slow, things change fast in a nano. Keep up with the testing.
The fast fluctuations was what I was afraid of in dealing with a nano tank but I just have to work with what I got I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

I saw you have a glass cleaner. Just be careful, mine has scratched the glass up a bunch. I think it's when it picks the sand up and drags it.. but hard to tell exactly when sand gets in it. I try not to..
I'll definitely have to keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up.

Ya this is my only saltwater tank. So far everyone says larger is easier. I don't mind the small tank. I clean the glass probably every 4 days. Feed daily, add water near daily. Probably change the water every 2 weeks. But that's because I have to drive 1.5hr to get water. But now I am mixing it in my garage with my filter for RODI.

I lost a few things. Due to light or shock, one to starvation (the fish needed pods). I highly recommend bringing your water to temp before water changes. I believe I may have lost a fish due to shock.

I feed the fish once a day possibly 3-12 pellets for both. Probably feed the corals every two weeks before water changes so it doesn't pollute the tank with powder. Now I feed mysis a couple times a week substituting the pellets. It's also good for feeding the corals.

My tank goes insane for the mysis. Every nassarius snail is on the surface and even a bristle worm in the middle of the day.

IMHO, Cannister filters can be used just fine, but do not use them with traditional media, and instead, just use them as a reactor of sorts. Add live rock to them, or the MarinePur, or any other media basket stuff, and if you have a clear canister filter (I think ZooMed makes them translucent, which will work) stick a daylight bulb of some sort on that sucker, and you'll get some good filtration.

Everyone is scared of canister filters with Saltwater, but they are doable.

2nd on the Auto Top Off. Whether you choose a more expensive model, or timer rig, it will save you some headaches if every you have to leave the house for a couple days.

IMHO, Cannister filters can be used just fine, but do not use them with traditional media, and instead, just use them as a reactor of sorts. Add live rock to them, or the MarinePur, or any other media basket stuff, and if you have a clear canister filter (I think ZooMed makes them translucent, which will work) stick a daylight bulb of some sort on that sucker, and you'll get some good filtration.

2nd on the Auto Top Off. Whether you choose a more expensive model, or timer rig, it will save you some headaches if every you have to leave the house for a couple days.
Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm currently using a canister filter on my 27gl cube without any issues. I give that sucker the proper maintenance and so far so good! My corals are doing great. It's insane the amounts of corals that I've been selling lately. Maintenance is key!!! But once I set my Nuvo, bye bye canister filter :triniti:

Latest posts