alk testing

hi guys, just wondering when if the optimal time to test alk and when to dose 2part?
ive read that testing on different times can give different results and that alk increases ph, although momentarily, and should be done at night take advantage of this.

im at the stage where the tank is taking more alk then kalk can provide and trying to find the sweet spot to manually dose. when i find this sweet spot ill hook up the reactor to auto do it.

ive been testing daily around 10pm and doseing at night after testing. results have varied between 7.8 dkH to 8.2dkH (im looking for 8.5) been doing this for two weeks and havent found a stable result. i used the hanna checker to test and dose ESV.

any help is appreciated.

Hi there
IMO keeping things stable is the Key and if you can hold it between 7.8-8.2 is good enough to ,
by and wanting extra 0.3 Will make no difference to the health of your system lmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have learned to not chase numbers, it will make you crazy. Your level are fine. Rule of thumb. Low alk = low nutrient, high alk = high nutrient. Your level would fall under the lower range, imho. However, some might beg the differ.

Most hobbyist I know set there doser to dose at night when lights are off

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have learned to not chase numbers, it will make you crazy. Your level are fine. Rule of thumb. Low alk = low nutrient, high alk = high nutrient. Your level would fall under the lower range, imho. However, some might beg the differ.

Most hobbyist I know set there doser to dose at night when lights are off

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Isn't it High alk = low nutrient and visa versa??

ChevelleJason

Premium Member
Supporter
Dosing at night seems to be popular to prevent pH swings during lights out. I use Kalkwasser in my Auto Top Off so I'm dosing 24/7. Still seems to keeping up with my Alk/Calc demands. I test at night usually 30 - 45 minutes before lights out. The only science behind that is that my kids are sleeping and my wife has a glass of wine in one hand and a book in the other! :)