Zik

Hey guys!
Just wanted to share my process for my first reef! 55g Set up:
55G Long/Narrow (48" long)
60lb Live Black Hawaiian Sand + 5LB Blue Fresh Water Gravel
35lb dry rock, seeded w/ Bio-Spira & Cycled w/ Dr Tims Ammonia Fishless Cycle
Live Mushroom Rock from fellow reefer to seed dry-rock w/ additional life
2x HOB Filters Rated @ 10x tank size
Unbranded Protein Skimmer (crazy.. this thing WORKS for how cheap it is. Did take patience to tune it + an air valve addition)
2x Power heads (soon adding in 1x more from Current USA hooked up to my programmable lights)
Current USA IC LEDS - on 6x hours peak (100% blue, 20% white) with 10% 'random cloud' effect weather forecast
200W Heater

Current Crew:
2x o-clowns & 1x baby blue tang in QT, coming in the main tank in 1x month
2x zebra turbo snails
2x narcissus snails
4x hermits (2 blue leg 2 red leg)

Current Coral & Frags:
Green Hairy Mushroom Rock (these guys GREW and split fastt, so I took a stab at literally stabbing some I peeled off to rock rubble, & they mounted! Giving away for free to some fellow reefers)
2 Headed Torch Coral
2 Headed Hammer
2x 2 Headed Frogspawn
Red Monti Cap
Green Birds Nest
Forest-fire
Unsure name - but looks like a 'blue' birds nest
Unknown Chalice
Toxic Green Goniastrea
Digitata
Some Common Red Zoa

Had a blast aquascaping this! I had my clowns in here for a few weeks who were loving it! But since I was QT'ing my tang, I found it stupid that I wouldn't QT the clowns...
So I decided to pull them, run fallow & QT all 3x together. If all goes well, they'll be in April 1st!

Will keep introducing coral in the meantime =)

Keeping an eye on new fish to consider & begin QT on after. I know a Royal Gramma is one, not sure on the rest.
LOVE the sailfin, but size.... :x. I know the tank can be considered too small for the blue tang, but by that point I may already be considering my next Tank, or can pass her on to my uncle who has a 160, we'll see how she enjoys mine for the meantime.

Any recommendations?! Fish/Coral/Etc

Cheers!

Zik

Since my frogspawn wouldn't allow too much coral next to it (due to potential stinging), I decided to take that big rock & flip it / mount it above to make another cave! All the new rock that replaced it (near the mushrooms) are just temp rubble.
What do you guys think about the re-do to the scape? Figured it would add another cave for interest & allow for more high-light coral up top!

I do enjoy the simplicity of the previous version though :/

Since my frogspawn wouldn't allow too much coral next to it (due to potential stinging), I decided to take that big rock & flip it / mount it above to make another cave! All the new rock that replaced it (near the mushrooms) are just temp rubble.
What do you guys think about the re-do to the scape? Figured it would add another cave for interest & allow for more high-light coral up top!

I do enjoy the simplicity of the previous version though :/
The rockscape look good Matt.
What powerhead you plan to have?

Zik

The rockscape look good Matt.
What powerhead you plan to have?
Thanks!! Was really fun planning it out, but guess I still modified it a bit ahah

They're hard to see in this cloudy pic since sand was recently stirred up
But top left (impossible to see) and bottom right I have 2x cheapos
https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JVP-1...1487917443&sr=8-4&keywords=aquarium+powerhead

& Today, in the middle top I added 1 current usa programmable Eflux:
https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-...d=1487917466&sr=8-1&keywords=current+usa+wave

The 2 cheapos are on auto, and I have the current on 'stream' 50%

Will continue to play with wave / surge mode to find a nice pattern the LPS enjoy.

Latest posts