Can I cut around my tank and recarpet?

Need new carpet but avoiding it due to my 135 reef tank in the livingroom :/
Has anybody here done the cut around the stand and recarpet AROUND it? Then just save some to patch if I ever move tank ( which is unlikely .. only place for a tank in my house)

I've read online about people doing this..but curious about how it works out long term, and if the tank remains stable on the old pad and carpet if cut within a gnat's @ss of the stand ( to avoid seeing old color , since changing color this time)

TIA :)

J

Yes you can, but when you iron the new carpet together to the old, it sometimes looks extremely different.

If you're going to do it, just get 3 40 gallon sterilites, and break your tank down temporarily and just pump them in a different room.

Yes, it's a PITA, but it works.

Sent from my 1+3 via Tapatalk

I'd have to hire a tank mover, and dread the inevitable issues of a temp breakdown :( there will always be either a tank or a couch against that wall. So not too concerned about the seam being obvious , really.. just trying to do the carpet with the least tank disruption possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't care about how it will look then go for it. Your tank is so heavy, that old pad is probably flat to the floor anyway.

But yeah, break it down and do the job right haha

Have we met?! lol I don't do anything the right way! If I have to dismantle and move tank my hubs is gonna open a vein.. and prob one of mine too!

lol there's no amount of 'beneficial bacteria' that'll make it agreeable ... #reefhater

Need new carpet but avoiding it due to my 135 reef tank in the livingroom :/
Has anybody here done the cut around the stand and recarpet AROUND it? Then just save some to patch if I ever move tank ( which is unlikely .. only place for a tank in my house)

I've read online about people doing this..but curious about how it works out long term, and if the tank remains stable on the old pad and carpet if cut within a gnat's @ss of the stand ( to avoid seeing old color , since changing color this time)

TIA :)

J
I'm in the same situation as you when March come around. I'll have to temp breakdown my tank and move it into another area of the the house while the floor is getting laminate flooring done and move it back.

You can do it. No problem. Just make sure the carpet guys put tack strip around the stand.. Get enough carpet plus extra from your installers if the worst case happens and you have to move the tank...
I have done this in customers houses with cabinets before. As meant above, not the BEST answer, but an effective one nonetheless.

Like ndrwater said, have them tack strip all around the tank as if it were a wall and you'd look good. Thing is, if you are putting a decent carpet in, that would last 20-30 years with proper care, do you plan to keep the tank there that long? Probably not. Patching that area will leave a noticeable difference if done after a few years, keep that in mind. Unless you go with a bigger tank, then you could just cut away more carpet.

Latest posts