Pistol & Goby pair

Found these two at the LFS in two completely separate tanks. Dropped them in the tank together, and started filming this moments later.

Amazing, and totally excited. The pistol shrimp is only about the size of my thumbnail, and the goby the size of my pinky.

Sent from my 1+3 via Tapatalk

Very cool!! A yasha goby/pistol pair is on my wish list!
I originally wanted a dracula or a yasha, but did not want to order them online, and none of my LFS were interested in working with me.

I went to my local Petco to pick up some Amanos for my nano jars, and these were in their sw display completely apart from eachother.

I have had only success from the things I've bought from that Petco, so i didn't even hesitate. They let me use their Internet to make sure these two were statistically compatible (they had no idea) and boom. WYSIWYG!

Cool they picked a great spot to dig right next to the glass!
Yeah, i didn't think they would last there, and they didn't. They found a cave in the LR right behind this spot which is where i initially dropped them in, and the goby went for immediately and vanished into while the pistol was firing away at the mandarin.

Well. Haven't seen them in about 4 days now. They went into a crevice of the live rock and haven't been out since.

Should i lift up the rock and look for them, or is 4 days without coming out for food fine?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Well. Haven't seen them in about 4 days now. They went into a crevice of the live rock and haven't been out since.

Should i lift up the rock and look for them, or is 4 days without coming out for food fine?
Mine went missing for weeks. They somehow find food.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mine went MIA for THREE MONTHS and one day they just popped out of nowhere! The pistol was twice the size from when I originally bought it. lol ;[

Mine went MIA for THREE MONTHS and one day they just popped out of nowhere! The pistol was twice the size from when I originally bought it. lol ;[
My original p0mpom crab did this. Thought it died and my kids were upset, so i bought another.

Now, I have two pom poms crabs.

Okay. I'll hold off on them, for now, then. Your experiences are encouraging.

toomuch420

Premium Member
Supporter
I only see mine when feeding time besides goby sticking head out cave randomly.
But I always hear pistol firing when lights are out. Been paired maybe 4 - 5 yrs now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CJR

My pistol is a beast, every morning I wake up to a completely new sandscape! The guy is moving sand all day in my tank with the watchman always within antenna's length. Moves more sand than CalTrans on a snowy day....

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
This is so AWESOME! Once my new build (nuvo 30L) is complete, I will be adding a pistol shrimp!

Still havent seen any signs of them in the past 2 weeks since putting them in the tank, but I hear that pistol firing away every time something walks, crawls or swims by their trap door shell they set up.

Pistol is doing its thing and coming out every once in a while, now. I havent seen the goby in a while, now.

Such an interesting choice in tank denizens.

SantaMonicaHelp

Found these two at the LFS in two completely separate tanks. Dropped them in the tank together, and started filming this moments later.

Amazing, and totally excited. The pistol shrimp is only about the size of my thumbnail, and the goby the size of my pinky.

Hey Nick,
Looking great ;) and good idea to film them !
How long are they together?

Zhenya

I put them in on February 20th,so it is going on a about 3 weeks.

I have not seen the goby since he and the pistol went into the cave, but I hear the pistol several times a day, and i see him pushing sand out one of 4 tunnels that I have found from time to time.

Not the prettiest of gobies, but I am fine with it; I've got plenty of other pretty fish.

Latest posts