Anyone have sea apple experience?

So i bought a sea apple yesterday and its stunning. Once in the tank it right away opened up and was feeding. It moved around a bit and today has settled. Only thing is it hasn't opened up and put its feeders out. Its just shut right up. Is that normal sea apple behavior?

I had one a few years back. Had it for about 2 years and then it died and killed everything but my zebra eel.
So i bought a sea apple yesterday and its stunning. Once in the tank it right away opened up and was feeding. It moved around a bit and today has settled. Only thing is it hasn't opened up and put its feeders out. Its just shut right up. Is that normal sea apple behavior?

Bigpapii

There are three ways that a sea apple commonly dies
1) starvation
2) unstable parameters
3) stress from other tank mates

To prevent 1) even phyto and/or copepods daily. Sea apples natural behavior in the ocean is to open at night. Since it's in a tank and there aren't enough "food" for it it gets confused and will try to feed (opening up) at random times a day. Technically this is bad but as long as you are able to direct feed it phyto or copepods everyday this shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry if you accidentally miss a day feeding just don't miss it often.

To prevent 2) keep everything stable aha

To prevent 3) watch out for anything picking on it. Even non aggressive fish will pick at it's feeding branches thinking it's food causing it to close up and never get to eat which will lead to you saying goodbye to everything including your wallet.

I'm kidding
Usually sea apples don't nuke your tank with toxins if nothing bothers it. If it dies from starvation it'll just die.
Like anything else if it dies in your tank and you don't take it out it'll cause an ammonia spike.

Summary: feed daily and keep parameters stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigpapii

I have an aggressive reef tank and nothings bothered mine for a long time now. Been feeding him everyday. He's healthy and fat :)

Thanks for the terrific reply!!!!! The only thing the really bothers me is my coco work didn't come out today for the first time ever. My tank is stable as can be so I'm not worried about that. I guess ill have to watch and see. Again thanks for the amazing response, very helpful.
There are three ways that a sea apple commonly dies
1) starvation
2) unstable parameters
3) stress from other tank mates

To prevent 1) even phyto and/or copepods daily. Sea apples natural behavior in the ocean is to open at night. Since it's in a tank and there aren't enough "food" for it it gets confused and will try to feed (opening up) at random times a day. Technically this is bad but as long as you are able to direct feed it phyto or copepods everyday this shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry if you accidentally miss a day feeding just don't miss it often.

To prevent 2) keep everything stable aha

To prevent 3) watch out for anything picking on it. Even non aggressive fish will pick at it's feeding branches thinking it's food causing it to close up and never get to eat which will lead to you saying goodbye to everything including your wallet.

I'm kidding
Usually sea apples don't nuke your tank with toxins if nothing bothers it. If it dies from starvation it'll just die.
Like anything else if it dies in your tank and you don't take it out it'll cause an ammonia spike.

Summary: feed daily and keep parameters stable