High phosphate and nitrate but sps seems to be happy

gabloo

Hello Everyone,

I am in the situation where I am not sure what to do. My phosphate and nitrate level are pretty high but SPS seems to be happy. Their polys are out and coloring up nicely. I had never seen my corals that happy before. Actually, I could never keep SPS alive. I was planning to run GFO and Vodka dosing to lower down those level but I am afraid I might end up killing them.

In the past, I was running GFO and my phosphate was zero but I couldn’t keep my SPS alive. I think it was bleaching. I also made a lot of chances recently, switched to LED, added carbon, started dosing Alk, Cal and Mg heavily and switched to bared bottom.

My tank has been running for about 7 - 8 months now. My setup is 55g display, 30g refugium with chatos, 25 gallon sump and running SWC 160 skimmer. I am also feeding twice a day (chopped shrimp and clams).

Can you guys please give me advice on what to do?

My current water parameter are

Phosphate = .22 ppm
Nitrate = 50 ppm
Salinity = 1.025 – 1.026
Magnesium = ~1450
Calcium = ~ 450
Alk = 9.5 – 9
temp = 77

Thanks in advance

How high? If it aint broke don't fix it.

My tank was rocking with 20 nitrates and .1 p04

You have any algae issues?

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Hello Everyone,

I am in the situation where I am not sure what to do. My phosphate and nitrate level are pretty high but SPS seems to be happy. Their polys are out and coloring up nicely. I had never seen my corals that happy before. Actually, I could never keep SPS alive. I was planning to run GFO and Vodka dosing to lower down those level but I am afraid I might end up killing them.

In the past, I was running GFO and my phosphate was zero but I couldn
I will ask what test kits are you using? Also test results are for reference and if your tank is doing good then leave it!! lol

gabloo

How high? If it aint broke don't fix it.
My tank was rocking with 20 nitrates and .1 p04
You have any algae issues?
Sorry. I updated my post. I am not sure how it got cut out when I posted it this morning. I don't have issue with Algae currently but my rocks are turning brown at this moment.

I will ask what test kits are you using? Also test results are for reference and if your tank is doing good then leave it!! lol
I am using Salifert.

I would feed a little less and step up your water changes as a starting point. Then see where your at. I would try to lower your no3 and po4 some though but do it slowly. Try the above first before you go the gfo or pellet route.

Do you harvest the chaeto in your refugium?

Can you post some pics?

Last edited:

gabloo

I would feed a little less and step up your water changes as a starting point. Then see where your at. I would try to lower your no3 and po4 some though but do it slowly. Try the above first before you go the gfo or pellet route.

Do you harvest the chaeto in your refugium?

Can you post some pics?
I only feed twice a day. Is that a lot? would I starve my fish? ;P. I will reduce is down to once a day tho. I just found out that new Salifert NO3 color sheet has some issue. There is a chance my NO3 might be at 25ppm. I normally throw away half of my chaeto every 2 months.

Is there a trick to take pic of coral? I tried taking pics with my iphone and t3i camera yesterday night but I couldn't get any good pic. I will post pics as soon as i get a decent looking one.

Latest posts