Red Monti - No White Rim

Zik

Hey Guys,

So I have a red monti cap (well, technically 2 since it broke when it was given to me) in my Dt, and one had a slight white rim when I first got it.
The white rim colored up into red, but there has been no new white rim since.

That was about 3 weeks ago, and I got new lights in 1 week ago (Current USA Orbit Marine IC 48")

At their current height, the light manu. says they're probably in the 120ish par range.

When these grow, is it possible that since my lights are not as strong, it would just grow slower than people with 'active white rim' growth?
It still has color - so I assume its still alive.

I have a green birds of paradise which is showing growth at roughly the same level as the monti cap, so not sure if this sps can handle a lot lower par, or maybe something else going on.

Thanks for input!

Euro92

It could be numerous things including nutrients level, lightings, calcium, alk, and even other things. I find it sometimes it needs to be left alone and glued down before it takes off. If all your parameters are good montipora should grow pretty fast.

My Tank Build
It could be numerous things including nutrients level, lightings, calcium, alk, and even other things. I find it sometimes it needs to be left alone and glued down before it takes off. If all your parameters are good montipora should grow pretty fast.
What he said. Also be patient with things. 3 weeks is not a long time. I found 3 weeks isn't even enough time for the coral to acclimate to your system yet. I've had corals go a few months through an acclimation proses depending on where the coral came from. Like if the seller was running ULNS then hit my system where I keep my water a little dirty. When the coral would look really good for the first week or so then it would brown out for a while, then come back with slightly darker pigments.
Now for the white tips. I have a red planet that's growing like a weed and it's super bright pink and a good 1/2 inch of the tips are really light pink to a all most white color. It all most looks like it has alk burn but it doesn't. I've had a few guys come over and say "dang what's that I want a piece". And when I say it's just red planet they say "dam my red planets looks nothing like that. But it's just growing really fast.
Side view of red planet

Top down of it.

Zik

What he said. Also be patient with things. 3 weeks is not a long time. I found 3 weeks isn't even enough time for the coral to acclimate to your system yet. I've had corals go a few months through an acclimation proses depending on where the coral came from. Like if the seller was running ULNS then hit my system where I keep my water a little dirty. When the coral would look really good for the first week or so then it would brown out for a while, then come back with slightly darker pigments.
Now for the white tips. I have a red planet that's growing like a weed and it's super bright pink and a good 1/2 inch of the tips are really light pink to a all most white color. It all most looks like it has alk burn but it doesn't. I've had a few guys come over and say "dang what's that I want a piece". And when I say it's just red planet they say "dam my red planets looks nothing like that. But it's just growing really fast.
Side view of red planet

Top down of it.
Thats awesome! Thanks for the info & the pics!! Really insightful.

That's also a good peace of mind that I shouldn't move/remove/etc a coral if it was recently added & 1x week later it looks different haha