Lost my Kole Tang this morning

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Not sure what happened. I fed the fish and coral last night. Everyone looked healthy and was eating. This morning my Kole was stuck in between my zoa colonies dead. Top dorsal fin looks pretty torn up along with his sides and gills both wide open. I'm thinking he died after lights out and critters had been chewing on him all night.

That area near the zoanthids has been my clowns claimed spot for some time. Think its possible for a clown to take a tang out? My females about 1/2 - 3/4 the size of the kole tang.

The only other thing that crossed my mind is its the only true grazer I have in my tank. Maybe he got chewed up cleaning an mp40 or something.

fish list

Male red velvet wrasse flashes near lights out
Rhomboid male flashes after velvets done doing its thing
5 barlett's anthias one recently went male
CBB (they do size eachother and do a dance for a few minutes a day)
pygmy geo hawkfish
firefish
pair of b/w percs

2 bubble tip anemones

All my fish have been through a QT or from a fellow reefers tank after being there for a long period. No signs of ich that i can see, or flukes.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I am sorry to hear. My tank went through this same ordeal this past month. I had a few unexpected deaths over a week. My goldflake angel started to flash prior to lights out as well. Swimming in a strange pattern.My rhomboid was on the verge of death with heavy breathing over night. My lineatus wrasses started acting strange as well. I decided to prazipro the display just in case of flukes. All fish have recovered completely and the rhomboid is doing much better. I would prazipro just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I am sorry to hear. My tank went through this same ordeal this past month. I had a few unexpected deaths over a week. My goldflake angel started to flash prior to lights out as well. Swimming in a strange pattern.My rhomboid was on the verge of death with heavy breathing over night. My lineatus wrasses started acting strange as well. I decided to prazipro the display just in case of flukes. All fish have recovered completely and the rhomboid is doing much better. I would prazipro just in case.

And you have a mixed reef as well right? I've used prazipro in QT but haven't yet in the display.

Sorry to hear that Matt.. On a similar note, noticed my Solon Fairy Wrasse is missing... Like gone... Noticed yesterday. No sign of a body, and he can't carpet surf because I have a screen top. Sometimes these things happen. Total bummer, but they do... Had my Wrasse for like 3 years. Thought he was one that was bullet proof... Guess not...

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yup full mixed Reef. No casualty

Thanks EyeReef. Good to know, I'll give it a shot.
Sorry to hear that Matt.. On a similar note, noticed my Solon Fairy Wrasse is missing... Like gone... Noticed yesterday. No sign of a body, and he can't carpet surf because I have a screen top. Sometimes these things happen. Total bummer, but they do... Had my Wrasse for like 3 years. Thought he was one that was bullet proof... Guess not...
Bah, sorry to hear Ben. It sucks that's for sure. I just noticed my cleaner shrimp actually cleaning Fish so maybe something is up. I'll have to keep a close eye.

Latest posts