Pencil urchins

I ordered one from reefcleaners not really researching it until after i ordered it.

My research, after, leads me to believe that it's presence could be detrimental to my corals (sodties, zoas, lps, sps).

Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my 1+3 via Tapatalk

My Tank Build
I don't know about pencil urchins. But I've got a Halloween urchin and it's doesn't eat any corals. It does tho pull glued down frags off the rock and carries them around the tank on its back. Then drops them anywhere it wants. I've even caught it carrying snails and crabs around in it's back.

I consider all urchins bulldozers, cool but knock over everything in their paths. I had a tuxedo a while back and that guy would even move fairly big pieces of live rock

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and asked for him to substitite a sea hare for this order, and he gave me the last one he had in stock.

I'll try a halloween urchin when i upgrade to my larger tank.

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed him and asked for him to substitite a sea hare for this order, and he gave me the last one he had in stock.

I'll try a halloween urchin when i upgrade to my larger tank.
BAD! sea hares are highly toxic and if they die they crash the tank.

My Tank Build
BAD! sea hares are highly toxic and if they die they crash the tank.
I lost a sea here back in November and didn't see a bad thing happen in my tank. Now I'm not saying it's not true. But maybe tank size and equipment makes a difference. Now in my defense I was running a skimmer that was rated for a 1000 gallons on a 155 gallon tank at the time and I'd never would have left it in if I was running a smaller tank. But I never pulled it out and found it after it was pretty much gone. All there was left was a light blob at the base of the overflow. I couldn't reach it so I just left it to let the crabs have it. This could be why my tank is so dang dirty too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost a sea here back in November and didn't see a bad thing happen in my tank. Now I'm not saying it's not true. But maybe tank size and equipment makes a difference. Now in my defense I was running a skimmer that was rated for a 1000 gallons on a 155 gallon tank at the time and I'd never would have left it in if I was running a smaller tank. But I never pulled it out and found it after it was pretty much gone. All there was left was a light blob at the base of the overflow. I couldn't reach it so I just left it to let the crabs have it. This could be why my tank is so dang dirty too lol

Yeah man, I got a big one a long time ago to take care of the GHA in a 45g. Then one day I woke up to a cloudy tank of death and I found the sea hair all slimy and gross.

This sea hare, turns out is a "dwarf freckled sea hare."

It never ceases to amaze me how small these organisms can be.

I've seen the regular sized sea hares that can be purchased at pet world that are as big as my fist, but this guy is as small as the first knuckle of my thumb.

I watched him crawl around for half an hour for a moment of truth or catastrophe, and the first conflict was when it slithered up to one of my hermit crabs and kept trying to crawl over it to clean its shell.

The hermit pushed it, stepped on it, pinched it, you name it, but it finally got on its shell without inking and cleaned that shell to a fine polish.

Whatever catastrophes may come is going to really have something else to measure up to.

As usual, John @ RC nearly doubled every multiple item i ordered. I am going to have inverts over every nook and cranny each time I look into that tank for quite a while.

Latest posts