Considering a garge sump....

actually it does! I have a temp probe in the sump, and in the main tank, the temperature does not drop too much from the sump to the main tank +/- 2 degrees max. I do not see the heaters turning on that much considering the temperature in the crawl space gets down into the single digits. I also insulated the plumbing lines to keep anything from wasting energy. All of my equipment, spare parts + media fits on this costco rack.

Most important thing for energy conservation has been the insulation. Dont skimp or cut corners on it. If you do it right, the remote sump will not add any additional cost or trouble to the main tank.
I like that a lot. Had seen and considered that very rack. Now the $64 question. Is that rack powder coated? I have several of the cheapo Depot plastic racks for tools and such, but was again worried about long term. My plan is my last and forever tank with the big build I have planned and that rack would be perfect.... If it would last long term..

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
I like that a lot. Had seen and considered that very rack. Now the $64 question. Is that rack powder coated? I have several of the cheapo Depot plastic racks for tools and such, but was again worried about long term. My plan is my last and forever tank with the big build I have planned and that rack would be perfect.... If it would last long term..
The rack is coated but it is not a thick powder coating. I put a board on the bottom w/ Killz sealant and insulation. So far I have not seen any issues with rust/corrosion and I have had a few leaks happen. I am confident the rack will last a long time. If I need to replace it, all of my equipment & plumbing is removable via the unions I installed on the back side of the sump. Easy switch if the sump leaks, or if the rack rusts.

Latest posts