theMerchant (aka Alan) 150g Mixed Reef

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
What is your mls/minute for your effluent and what is your pH set within the chamber?
Not sure the rate since Im doing the other 'method' where i just go by the pH. I have it switch between 6.9 and 7. My Ca is at 440

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swnoob

Not sure the rate since Im doing the other 'method' where i just go by the pH. I have it switch between 6.9 and 7. My Ca is at 440

How often does it switch on/off in a 24hour period? Thats a very small gap. I was afraid of my solenoid failing prematurely when i had a setting of 6.75 off and 7 on. It would switch off maybe 2-3 times during lights on but 10-12 times during lights off.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
How often does it switch on/off in a 24hour period? Thats a very small gap. I was afraid of my solenoid failing prematurely when i had a setting of 6.75 off and 7 on. It would switch off maybe 2-3 times during lights on but 10-12 times during lights off.
It switches about 2 times an hour. The effluent is little more that a trickle , stream.

Last edited:

swnoob

Looks like you have a Burket solenoid. I believe they have a on/off life cycle of 1 billion. You're good. lol. I have a very inexpensive regulator. Time to get alanle to build me one and get my reactor back on line.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM

What is the "other method" you speak of?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Constant stream method, I feel it works well once dialed in. Does not require a pricey feed pump and has less chance of the line being effluent line getting clogged. It might be harder on the regulator, but I feel it's worth it.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Do you think you'll go through more CO2 using this method?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did you notice in watching that video that he says,later in the video, to do what he said not to do in the beginning? Starting above a ph of 7.0 is safe but will not melt any media as that is ph neutral. He says that he had calcium increase to meet demand once he went down below ph7.0 to 6.8 or so? which is what he referenced not to do in the begging. Ca2 reactors take time to get them 'tuned'. If your using an established tank that has long standing calcium,alk stability then its super easy. It looks to me like 'the other method' isn't any different than what is said in the 'Geo' manual or the 'Korallin' manual. These manuals are just quicker methods to get to your goal once you have your tank in a balanced place. I have both the Geo and the Korallin Ca2 reactors running in two seperated tanks. They both are great. I do use an electronic solenoid along with hospital grade Co2 regulators. I hope this helps some. I do go by what my tank needs and I have adjusted the affluent drip to supply what is needed by my tanks.

Not sure, but looks like it might be less since solenoid is closed half the time.

If your PH in your Ca2 reactor is set to where it isn't varying and stays and x Ph you will not have erratic behavior from your solenoid. Since it won't be trying to compensate for changes in your affluent chamber. This can take some time or it won't. You may get it dialed in right away.

Jimbo327

Can I get an update picture of your tank, sump and stand? Too bad all of your old photos in PB isn't working anymore. I'm really thinking of getting a SCA tank/stand/sump too.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Can I get an update picture of your tank, sump and stand? Too bad all of your old photos in PB isn't working anymore. I'm really thinking of getting a SCA tank/stand/sump too.
here is the actual PB album link, if you can deal with all the ads and the slow speed. Ill try to migrate all photos to another service.

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/big71al/library/150

the tank is very nice and I like the stand , but I would recommend getting a different sump. I went with a Trigger sump

Last edited: