My first reeftank back in 1994!!!:)

ivan

Featured Reef
I was looking for some blades for my new tunze algae scraper that I lost a few weeks back and I found this old picture of my first reeftank :)
That's it's funny what we use to do back then!
The sand that I had there was from SMB (Santa Monica beach :) hahaha and I remember loosing lots of corals because the angels on my tank.
It been a long journey on this hobby !!

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
This is awesome. A blast from the past for sure. How was your experience with reefing in the 90's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivan

Featured Reef
This is awesome. A blast from the past for sure. How was your experience with reefing in the 90's?

Good and bad !!
The bad =The equipment was just a little skimmer with a wood as air stone some blue bioballs, and a 404 fluval ,lights Florecen
bulbs
If you can keep a sps on your tank for more the a week with out loosing color or bleaching out on you it was a +
The good = corals and fish cheap and there was not 1/2" frags it was $30 for the hole coral or colony but most of the stuff was pink brown or green :)

ivan

Featured Reef
The thank was a 65gal with a build in wet and dry on the back of it from clear for life :)

Wow!
Ivan thx for the pic!
That picture brings back a lot of memories, 1995 i had a 135 gallon reef tank that ran off a homemade chiller and 4 foot protein skimmer run off a wooden air stone that I converted to a Venturi system. Lol
It was plumbed with 3 fluvals that were run recirculation style, Had a hang on the back down to a wet dry filter with the bio balls. And that was top-of-the-line back then
I worked at a fish store that had salt water and mostly corals at that time we're LPS, pretty rare to see anything SPS because it wouldn't live.

ivan

Featured Reef
Wow!
Ivan thx for the pic!
That picture brings back a lot of memories, 1995 i had a 135 gallon reef tank that ran off a homemade chiller and 4 foot protein skimmer run off a wooden air stone that I converted to a Venturi system. Lol
It was plumbed with 3 fluvals that were run recirculation style, Had a hang on the back down to a wet dry filter with the bio balls. And that was top-of-the-line back then
I worked at a fish store that had salt water and mostly corals at that time we're LPS, pretty rare to see anything SPS because it wouldn't live.

Yeap the sps was hard to keep for r sure
And you are right elk the equipment that you had was top of the line :)

ivan

Featured Reef
I remember when they were selling live rock for $8.99 per pound but that rock was full of algae and like pods,crabs and worms 🐛 hahah

You r so right! I triple bagged a baby one for a customer and **** made me bleed through the bags!!

SantaMonicaHelp

I was looking for some blades for my new tunze algae scraper that I lost a few weeks back and I found this old picture of my first reeftank :)
That's it's funny what we use to do back then!
The sand that I had there was from SMB (Santa Monica beach :) hahaha and I remember loosing lots of corals because the angels on my tank.
It been a long journey on this hobby !!

Hey Ivan,

Looking nice:) What fish do you have? How is the tank now?

Zhenya

ivan

Featured Reef
Hey Ivan,

Looking nice:) What fish do you have? How is the tank now?

Zhenya
I only have few fish now some anthias and clown fish and some yellow tanks.
The tank was sold and I got a 180 then I downgrade to a elos 70 that one was upgraded to elos 160xl and now it's going to be appeared to a elos 480xl
Just need to do some work on my floor before I do anything with the big tank :)

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks for sharing [MENTION=719]ivan[/MENTION]. the infamous rock wall. love it.

i remember the anything with color other than brown was better than slice bread. then purple was the color to have. now if it not from a specific vendor its a fake. lol..

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
thanks for sharing [MENTION=719]ivan[/MENTION]. the infamous rock wall. love it.

i remember the anything with color other than brown was better than slice bread. then purple was the color to have. now if it not from a specific vendor its a fake. lol..
Purple and blue

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
daaaam [MENTION=719]ivan[/MENTION]..how old are you bro? back in 94 i was still playing with my carritos and g.i. joes...granted i was a freshmen in high school but nevertheless. lol

Latest posts