Coral out of water question

Hi everyone , didn't know where to put this question since I still consider myself a newbie figured I put it here , ok so my question is I'm going to be re aquascaping my tank and wanted to know how long I can have my Corals out of water while I organized the new rock , I mainly have polyps and zoas and some sps nothing fancy

Thanks ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say the health of the coral before leaving them out. I have left them out for 15 to 20 mins before with no ill effect. Forgot to put them back in while doing other stuff lol. When moving rocks around you will lose track of time. Safe bet is get a couple of buckets from dollar store and keep them in there. Just make sure the water don't get to cold.

I feel like our coral are hardier then we think.

I'm just thinking low tide and high tide.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

newtybar

Hi everyone , didn't know where to put this question since I still consider myself a newbie figured I put it here , ok so my question is I'm going to be re aquascaping my tank and wanted to know how long I can have my Corals out of water while I organized the new rock , I mainly have polyps and zoas and some sps nothing fancy

Thanks ahead

Depends on the coral, I'm pretty sure sps would die off quickly. However, I had a tank crack and empty before...Some of the zoas lasted a couple days out of the water lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Zoas can easily handle 20 minutes out of the water, but I would siphon out a few gallons of water into a bucket and keep the corals submerged during the aquascaping. If you cant keep the coral submerged at least get a spray bottle and spray the corals with saltwater every 5 minutes so they don't dry out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys , I think I'm better of playing safe and just take some water form the DT in a bucket

drexel

Do it when you do a water change. BTW, I have a millepora and horrida that are exposed to air every day during feeding and my weekly water changes with no problems. I had to frag my horrida because it's growing right out of the water (at least to the surface) and I'm going to have to frag it again soon.
I agree with the others, as long as it's healthy, you shouldn't have any problems.

Zoas can easily handle 20 minutes out of the water, but I would siphon out a few gallons of water into a bucket and keep the corals submerged during the aquascaping. If you cant keep the coral submerged at least get a spray bottle and spray the corals with saltwater every 5 minutes so they don't dry out.
This is what I would do as well. Also, with palys you run the risk of paly toxin (low but a risk anyway) so keeping them under water would probably be best.

Latest posts