New to sps and need guidance

pdreef

Started putting sps in the tank mid December and ran a problem in late Jan due to my water being too clean. I'm dosing KNO3 once in while to keep nitrate at 2-5, pO4 stable at 0.02, Kh 8.1-8.4, Cal 450, Mag 1500. I have radions with wide angle lense at 40% atm and raising the intensity 5% per week to 80%.

Noob question.
1. I know sps needs a lot of light and flow but do I need to acclimate new frags to light?

2. Is it normal for base of my frags are a little lighter than the body?

RR medusa

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
yes, it is recommended to light acclimate, most probably don't do it, but it is good practice. question 2, That is new growth.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Good advice already, but I just have to say WOW to that chalice in the background of your photo. Dayum
Haha, I caught that too, and that sps isn't to shabby either. From the corals in the background, you will probably be fine. Seem to probably have developed good instincts already, for example, the questions you asked.

pdreef

Whew! Thanks a lot for the replies. I thought I was doing good something wrong. That medusa turned green on me in Jan and now colors are coming back ;-) another of my favorite piece is

pdreef

This is suppose to be a uc bali shortcake but not really sure what it looks like lol. If anyone has the same piece, I would love to see what it looks like.

What is this string looking on my frag?

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
You didn't mention how much flow you have in your tank. SPS need a lot of flow, if you don't have some sand movement in your tank, you could probably use more flow. On my 29BC is was setting up for Acros, I have a tunze 6055 1450 gph and I keep it turned up most of the way.

Latest posts