Orange/Yellow build up in sump..

Concerned about the buildup.. I've never seen this before in any of my previous setups.. I'm worried something may have somehow gotten into the water?

Has anyone seen this before? My tanks is still going through its cycle.. I'm hoping it has something to do with that.. the DT looks pretty normal aside from the micro bubble problem I have that I'm working on fixing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my own experience, that is a sign of mildew/mold from the silicone (or atleast from your pictures)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It wipes right off and is above the water line if that helps anyone think of what it could be..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, would highly suggest you resolve the issue before you stock your tank

I, would highly suggest you resolve the issue before you stock your tank

Thing is, nobody has been able to prove it is an actual issue.. All I see on other forums is this is just an algae.. see links i posted. Seems to only be going on in new tanks.

I actually had it in my sump when I built my sump a few years back using non aquRium safe silicone (it was Loc-Tite brand that said Aquarium safe). I had the same discoloration as what you are experiencing. However mine was under water, so o was also getting a white mildew buildup on the silicone as well. I would suggest removing it and resilicone with brand from grainger. I believe it's called RTV 100..

pulling the sump out and redoing it is pretty serious, I'd do it right away if i knew for a fact this was harmful. I don't have any kind of mold or mildew growth.

Jay, you asked for opinion. I gave you my personal experience. Do what you think right. You can thank me later, after your livestock are in the toilet or buried

It is something I am for sure going to consider.. I could change up the design in my sump a bit too.. I will let it go another week before I do anything.. Iv'e never had to do something like this where i didn't have a return pump running.. nor have I ever lost electricity while having a tank setup.. (must be lucky) would My MP10 be enough to keep the tank going? I wonder if it will cycle all over again? My skimmer is finally breaking in too, lol.. errrr.. could be worse I guess..

Latest posts