Bean Animal- Location of Gate Valves

So I've noticed most people put the gate valve directly underneath the over flow box on the primary drain. Two experienced reefers I know said I should put the gate valves under my stand for easier access. Also the added pressure would assist in dialing the drains in. I plan to go this route, just wondering what issues there would be if any. As anyone ran their bean animal drains in this fashion?

I am tempted to install 3 true union ball valves underneath the overflow box so I can isolate or take it apart if I ever had to.

I'm not sure if it matters, but the system will have dual synergy shadow overflow boxes and all 6 drains will be run independently. Basically two separate bean animal drain setups.

pgr11

Supporter
On my bean animal setup I have the gate valves below the stand. I was able to dial it in with zero issue.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Next question, is it a big deal if I run my drain like this? Basically the only way I can bring the drain lines up higher so they don't hang down so low. There will be 4 x 1.5 inch drains run in this fashion. (not counting the two emergencies.)

On my bean animal setup I have the gate valves below the stand. I was able to dial it in with zero issue.

Whatsup stranger? Cool not that I don't trust my reefer friends, just trying to cover all my bases without having to re plumb anything later.

So I've noticed most people put the gate valve directly underneath the over flow box on the primary drain. Two experienced reefers I know said I should put the gate valves under my stand for easier access. Also the added pressure would assist in dialing the drains in. I plan to go this route, just wondering what issues there would be if any. As anyone ran their bean animal drains in this fashion?

I am tempted to install 3 true union ball valves underneath the overflow box so I can isolate or take it apart if I ever had to.

I'm not sure if it matters, but the system will have dual synergy shadow overflow boxes and all 6 drains will be run independently. Basically two separate bean animal drain setups.
I have my valve right under my drain Because it
Looks nicer. I idea that the lower the valve the easier it will be to tune is true and it will also catch siphon faster but it's not a game changer in my opion.

I set mine up with the valve at the box. I used 1x1.5 drain with a 1" balancing drain (always has a slow trickle through it) and a 1.5 emergency overflow. I found it easier to dial in because I was able to look into the overflow while adjusting it. Been running about a year and haven't had to adjust it once.

pgr11

Supporter
Next question, is it a big deal if I run my drain like this? Basically the only way I can bring the drain lines up higher so they don't hang down so low. There will be 4 x 1.5 inch drains run in this fashion. (not counting the two emergencies.)

Whatsup stranger? Cool not that I don't trust my reefer friends, just trying to cover all my bases without having to re plumb anything later.
Things have been crazy man. Some good some bad but just gotta keep going. How you been?

I don't like that you have a rise in the drain. General rule is a drain should have some fall. I can say my drain do run parallel and flat for a couple feet though. I'm not sure how the rise would effect it though.

Things have been crazy man. Some good some bad but just gotta keep going. How you been?

I don't like that you have a rise in the drain. General rule is a drain should have some fall. I can say my drain do run parallel and flat for a couple feet though. I'm not sure how the rise would effect it though.

Here's a better drawing. Overall the drain is still going down hill.

Have you thought about running the drain parallel to the outside stand then drops in . you can still brace/support the pipes to the stand. As for the valve, I would put anywhere you want as long you have easy access

Have you thought about running the drain parallel to the outside stand then drops in . you can still brace/support the pipes to the stand. As for the valve, I would put anywhere you want as long you have easy access
I'll take some pictures when I get home to show you what I'm working with.

I'll take some pictures when I get home to show you what I'm working with.
I'll be plumbing [MENTION=6581]Goober[/MENTION] tank this wknd. I'll remember to take some pictures for you. I think he has the synergy overflow too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You want to keep Parallel running pipe to a minimum. With parralels the water will have a harder time purging the air from the pipes and catching full siphon in the main drain. You may want to consider running all the drains with a 45 slant towards the sump area and then direct them accrordingly. The 2 secondary emergency drains can be parallel without an issue

You want to keep Parallel running pipe to a minimum. With parralels the water will have a harder time purging the air from the pipes and catching full siphon in the main drain. You may want to consider running all the drains with a 45 slant towards the sump area and then direct them accrordingly. The 2 secondary emergency drains can be parallel without an issue
The right side overflow box horizontal runs will prob be like 3' or so. For the overflow closer to the sock section, the horizontal run would be minimal or non existent.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn't recommend going upwards at all. Who knows if that would create additional noise, trap deposits in the tubing etc. Why not put the gate valve where the true union is? Maybe someone can chime in if there are any issues mounting a gate valve horizontally.

I wouldn't recommend going upwards at all. Who knows if that would create additional noise, trap deposits in the tubing etc. Why not put the gate valve where the true union is? Maybe someone can chime in if there are any issues mounting a gate valve horizontally.
That's not my issue, the issue is I am trying to bring the drain pipes up higher under the stand. I might be able to drop them down at an angle behind the tank.

No difference which way the gate valve is.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Can you see the water level inside the overflow while crouched down in your sump? I didnt want to go back and forth while adjusting, i dont have acces from the back of the stand. Your stand is open so you can reach inside and tune the drain.

I also didnt find any setups with the gate valve inside the stand. I read bean animals website many many times.
I did however used a modified version of the open channel.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My gate valve is located under my stand and I adjust my bean animal with my ears. I tune mine to silences and then after I'll take peak at the overflow box to make sure it's on point. And who wants to hide a pretty Spears valve behind a tank ;)

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like it will work either way and up to the tank owner. Like many things i learned about this hobby, more than one way to get things done.
Like i didnt add tubing to vent my drain, still works and looks clean

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Latest posts