Alk advice

So I been neglecting my tank due to life lol anyways so my No3 is at 20 n alk is 7.0 I don't even want to test phosphate. My tank is 50 gallons roughly including sump. I want to do a 15G water change. I could run to the water store that I've used before n get 15G of RO Alk water in 15 min. I do have a RODI but will take 5-6 hours to make 15G. Idk much about alk change but (my question is would a fast change in alk be bad for my tank?) should I do a smaller water change. Reason I ask I'm trying to do this ASAP because tomorrow I gotta hit the books hard N it will be one less thing to worry about. Saltmix I'm using is Red Sea coral pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do a water change using your Red Sea coral pro, it has high Alk already. That'll also take care of some No3 and phosphates.

Just do a water change using your Red Sea coral pro, it has high Alk already. That'll also take care of some No3 and phosphates.
My question is would a fast alk change be bad for my tank. Also whether I should wait for rodi or just use RO water.

Yes it would be bad (not killing everything but could kill or damage some if u go to hi to fast .5 a day slowly is the most I would do in a day 7 is low so I don't know I would go to 7.8 tonight and noon tomorrow Start bring it up agan to to 8.5 then do the waterchange on Monday I would also get the nitrate under control and check phosphate

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yes it would be bad (not killing everything but could kill or damage some if u go to hi to fast .5 a day slowly is the most I would do in a day 7 is low so I don't know I would go to 7.8 tonight and noon tomorrow Start bring it up agan to to 8.5 then do the waterchange on Monday I would also get the nitrate under control and check phosphate

Do you think 25-28% water change would be to fast using coral pro n start raising it up. The salt mix at .025 gives me an alk of 11.2 according to what it states
I use bio pellets n I haven't changed in a while so I just need to add more pellets

If it was my tank I would not do it I would buy new salt and slowly bring it up if that is where u want ur alk to be I would get it to 10. 5 before I started using it

nay

Premium Member
Supporter
10g redsea pro water change in a 50g would bring your alk from 7 to 8

nay

Premium Member
Supporter
0.5 is a rule of thunb and on the safe side...imo up 1dkh is not that aggressive, ive seen people do 2 before
if you r not lazy just mix 15g change half to night and then half tomorow

Hi there
IMO with rising KH 1kh spread out over the day is ok to do The only real corals you have to watch when rising or decreasing Kh is SPSs that can die overnight if it's a sudden fluctuation, other types of coral like soft and LPSs my only just sulk for a day or two.

Again IMO With doing water changes to bring up your KH usually only hold for that day and will start to drop again as KH gets used up on a daily basis at different rates for different tanks so will more unlikely need dose on a daily basis if you want to keep things stable, you would also need to look at your calcium and magnesium as well as having all three at the right level Will help towards keeping all three stable but still need to dose because these elements get you started on a daily basis at different rights of speed ie depending on what types of coal you have in your system.

That all said if you only have Fish /soft Just doing water changes on a weekly basis should be a enough.

Latest posts