Anybody got a tank cover from Advanced Acrylics?

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
My 3d printed tank cover attempt isn't coming out so well so I am leaning towards ordering one from Artfully Acrylic but wanted to know if anyone here has gotten one from Advanced Acrylics? He emailed me back with a quote but when I asked for pictures of previous ones he has made, so that I can know how they look, I haven't heard back from him.

I would totally rather get one from John but if I don't hear back from him I might pull the trigger on Artfully.

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
Artfully Acrylic uses better materials that 'resist' bowing so I'd go with them. I have a acrylic tank topper (not from John) and I'll be switching out for one by Artfully in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
[MENTION=3132]deaclauderdale[/MENTION]

The cover over my filter socks on my sump from John is acrylic and has warped like you are saying, but when I asked him about a tank cover he said he uses 3/8" polycarbonate which is the same as artfully. I am still leaning towards artfully though since I know what I will be getting from them and they seem to have a lot of stuff ironed out

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I can get some when I get home. My printer is being a pia and not printing flat, so when I put the pieces together its all out of wack. From the test pieces I made though it is more bulky than I would like. I want to keep the clean look of my tank so that's why I'm giving up and going with the polycarbonate look.

John was supposed to make a top for me then bs'd around after he got paid and never received it. He told me it was too hard for him to make so good luck

I own an Artfully Acrylic lid for my Nuvo 20. They are pretty solid. The CNC cuts on the edges could be sanded or buffed for a better look, but they're accurate. I emailed John a long while ago about making something similar, but he said he didn't have a CNC machine at the time. So I'm guessing he's acquired one?

I would go with Artfully, like somebody else mentioned, because they've overcome the growing pains of a new product already. John's lids may just be in their infancy and he may be testing what works and what doesn't work. If John has made lids before, ask for pictures, and see if you can see them in person.