Maroon Clowns in System? Yay or nay?

Since my 6 year old clown passed away a few months ago, I haven't had any kind of clowns in my main system. And we all know, there must be a mandatory nemo in every tank. This time around, I was thinking about a maroon clown pair, some designer type. But I do know that they can be really aggressive. I'm just curious if the aggression is only toward other clowns or other fish in general as well.

Any thoughts?

N8Allen

Aggressive only to clowns. What they lack in a diverse anger they make up for in intensity. They will kill other clowns. I've kept maroons for awhile and currently have a Lightening and a Gold Nugget. Great mean fish... evil smile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggressive only to clowns. What they lack in a diverse anger they make up for in intensity. They will kill other clowns. I've kept maroons for awhile and currently have a Lightening and a Gold Nugget. Great mean fish... evil smile...

Wow! That lightning pattern is beautiful! How active are they? I had a small lightning in a Nuvo 20g but he was really shy and hid most of the time. When I added an anemone, he came out a bit more, but was still not as out in the open compared to ocellaris/perculas.

N8Allen

Wow! That lightning pattern is beautiful! How active are they? I had a small lightning in a Nuvo 20g but he was really shy and hid most of the time. When I added an anemone, he came out a bit more, but was still not as out in the open compared to ocellaris/perculas.
Every Maroon I've ever had has been Queen of the reef. As a general rule, they're a really dominant fish. I'm sure there are shy ones, but I've never seen one. It's just luck of the draw. I bought a pair of mated Goldflake Maroons. The female promptly killed her mate. I added a three stripe Maroon and they did great for years. There's no accounting for individual specimens

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM

Beautiful fish you have there.
[MENTION=3768]Confuse[/MENTION], how big of tank will the be in?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Hell nah, with so many different clownfish why those?? Never liked maroons but thats just me...

I have a lighting and I think the other is some sort of black icer or something. Introduced them at the same time. They are getting along.

N8Allen

I have a lighting and I think the other is some sort of black icer or something. Introduced them at the same time. They are getting along.

Be VERY careful... Maroons kill other clowns as a matter of policy. Always pair with maroons when possible. Just be careful.

Serenade

Personally I love my maroons 2 pairs of lightning maroons a spare morse code male, and 3 gold flake that I'm in the process of pairings. But they are more than happy to bite me whenever I've got my hands in the tank. My favorite clowns although not the fish for everyone.

The Gold Stripe Maroon is still my favorite but too mean and can't really pair with other clowns. I finally got my pair of Wyoming Whites and found one with tear drop. Here is a bad pic

Latest posts