Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I was at Tongs while an employee was feeding the tanks. They had 2 blue streak cleaner wrasses that were battling for food with the rest of the fish, just eating great. So i picked one up, had a yellowish head compared to the other. Today hes eating brine pretty good and checking out flaked spirulina. I've got a good feeling he'll pick up on flakes as well. He's in my QT with a nice looking Scopas tang they had. I know these guys can be tough to keep alive but is that different if they seem to be eating well? Anyone put a cleaner through QT with meds? I'm thinking Prazipro but not sure I'm going to do copper if i don't see anything pop up.

I know they like to clean fish. How do other fish similar in size take to it? Has anyone experienced it trying to clean other wrasses? My others are a Rhomboid and Red Velvet wrasse. Just trying to get an idea how that's gonna go? Hes shadowing the scopas in qt. Not trying to feed constantly, just kinda cruising with him.

Last edited:
I have a wrasse dominant tank. Some wrasses like to be cleaned and ithers don't. My melanarus wrasse always like to be cleaned. My radiant, flame, pink head, tricolor, and solomon head wrasses hate being cleaned.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Good to know [MENTION=7637]jake_francis[/MENTION]! How long have you had your cleaner wrasse & did you put it through a QT? Also how many fish do you have and whats your system volume?

This is my second cleaner wrasse. My firstnone lasted for 6 minths. This one has been in my tank since four months now. With wrasses, it's a hit and miss for me. The ones I don't QT do better. The ones I QT don't make it through QT. My tank is a 70 gal total volume. I have 7 wrasses, 2 anthias, 2 clown fish, purple tang, blue diamond gobby.

I used Copper safe with my cleaner wrasse with no issues. Keep in mind that when they eat prepared food like crazy some will lose the sense of "cleaning" other fish. I have my cleaner wrasse for over 2 years and it still cleaning all my fish including my blue star leopard and anthias.
HTH

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I used Copper safe with my cleaner wrasse with no issues. Keep in mind that when they eat prepared food like crazy some will lose the sense of "cleaning" other fish. I have my cleaner wrasse for over 2 years and it still cleaning all my fish including my blue star leopard and anthias.
HTH
What he said... lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks guys. Good to know some other are having success with them. I'll keep an eye on him and most likely do a full qt