All things Media Reactor

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I figured I'd start a Media reactor thread for GFO/GAC so that it'll help inform reefers about the different reactors out there. I know there are many other types of media out there but let's keep this thread to GFO and GAC. So list your experience with the different types of reactors that you've used.

For me, I've used

TLF 150 and 550
Avast Marine Build yourself reactor
ATB's media reactor
Aquamaxx's media reactor with the black base and black lid
Aquamaxx's FR-M (currently using)

Here's my opinion on each one.
FR-M
Great reactor and I like the idea that an adjustable pump is included. The pump I received with this reactor was the Sicce Micra Plus rated for 150GPH. Initally, I wanted to use this reactor for GAC, specifically the Aquamaxx ROX 0.8 but when I added the recommended amount for my RedSea Reefer 170, it tumble way too much for my liking. I ended up changing out the pump for the Sicce Micra rate for 90gph and the flow through the reactor is much more suited for the ROX GAC now. I think the stock pump would be great for normal GAC. I haven't ran GFO in years but I bet this will do a great job keeping the GFO tumbling. One thing I do find a little difficult with this reactor (and pretty much most reactors similar to this) is rinsing out the media. This reactor is still fairly new to me so I haven't change out my media just yet but I do plan to remove the pump and then just take the reactor to the sink and rinse the GAC there. One good thing about ROX GAC is that it's not dusty at all. As far as the pump goes, I find it very quiet.

Aquamaxx Fluidized reactor (Black base and black lid)
Great reactor with and great at tumbling media. When I was using this reactor, I was using a MaxiJet to feed the reactor with ball valve so that I was able to control the flow/tuble in the reactor. This reactor is very well built and like the FR-M, rinsing the media can be a inconvenience. My other grip about this reactor is the nylon thumb screws to remove the lid. After a while I noticed there were slots on top of the screws so I ended up using a flat head screw driver to remove the nylon screws. Be careful though when tightening, you can easily over torque and break the nylon screws (I found out the hard way)

ATB media reactor
Very well built reactor just like their skimmers. What I love about this reactor was the ease to remove the lid. It's almost like a big nut and screwing and unscrewing the lid was super easy. Unlike the previous 2 mentioned reactors, this one does not use a sponge. With this reactor you'll need a feed pump or run it off of a manifold. This reactor's input is at the bottom of the reactor so it's difficult to remove the reactor because the pump has to come with it. I think a manifold feed with a union would be best option.

Avast Build yourself reactor
Great little kit for those DIY type of people. Everything came with the kit. The material used is nice and sturdy and instructions are great. Pretty simple design and since I built it myself, I was able to direct the outlet exactly where I want it.

TLF 150 and 550
These reactors have been around for LONG time and work pretty well. Material isn't as sturdy as the previously mentioned reactors but it gets the job done. I think I used a 150 for probably about 3 years and only had to change out the O-Ring because I had bought a spare and figure it was time to change it out. This reactor comes with everything needed to get it running except a feed pump. And like all the reactors before, rinsing the media can be an inconvenience.

Anybody have any experience with the Avast Spyglass or the IM reactors? Seems like it'll be easy to change out and rinse the media with these type of reactors.

Last edited:

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Good thread. I have only really had experience with the aquamaxx fluidized reactor type (seaside brand, as well as nextreef brand), TLF (in customers tanks), and i have seen the bubble magus frm type. They all work well and do the job, but like the fluidized version. It is easy to work on, and does the job well.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
[MENTION=3768]Confuse[/MENTION], how is the reactor fed?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts