Ideas to make a sump quiet

kain

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up a 120g. I have a sump that I want to reuse. Here's the catch, the sump didn't come with a filter sock holder. I can easily pick up a dual sock holder off of ebay to use. Here's my concern, how do I make it so that the drain is quiet? I have another sump, trigger system 34, that is super quiet but I wasn't planning on using that in the new build. Any ideas on what I can do to make it quiet? Thanks in advance.

ChevelleJason

Premium Member
Supporter
Well....filter socks aren't for silencing. What kind of overflow piping do you have leaving the tank? Durso, etc? Gate or ball valves help throttle the drain flow so it's not gushing into the sump. The piping should be low in the sump to aid in siphoning...hope that helps. ..kind of need more info

position your drain pipe straight down to sump no elbows. Twist and turn will create water gushing sounds no matter what dorso method is used. Use Elbows on your return instead of your drain IMO

mmorimoto

If you throw a gate valve at the end of your pvc you can adjust the amount of air. Make sure you have an emergency drain in case it gets backed up (Durso)