Aquamaxx WS-1 review

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Since there aren’t that many reviews out here on the AM WS-1, I thought I put my 2 cents in.
A little background on why I purchased this skimmer. Initially, for my RedSea Reefer 170, I went with the BM Curve A5 and while it was a great skimmer, it was way too much for my needs. So I searched for a skimmer that was sized appropriately for my system and it was between the IceCap K2-50 and the AquaMaxx WS-1 and I chose the WS-1 because of how well it’s cousin, HOB-1, performs. My initial impression of the skimmer is that it is packaged very well and the material of the skimmer feels very sturdy. Everything is pretty much assembled, only thing you have to do is remove the bubble wrap under the skimmer pump. Disassembling the skimmer is super easy and all you have to do is lift the divider and the pump and bubble plate come with it. Here are some pics of when I took the skimmer out of the package.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I gave the skimmer a vinegar/FW bath for a few days before I put the skimmer in my sump and was pleasantly surprised of how quiet the skimmer is and the small foot print. With this skimmer in my sump, I can still fit a little bit of rock, the Aquamaxx FR-M reactor and a homemade container for my Siporax in my sump. Here’s a few pics of the skimmer in action. The only real adjustment for this skimmer is the height of the skimmer cup. I currently have this skimmer sitting in about 7.5” – 8” of water and the skimmer cup is sitting about 1/2 way in. Here are some shots of when I first put it in and after the skimmer was broken in.

After 1 day of skimming

Great lil skimmer. Been running one in my 40g cube with light load. Pull lots of crap out. It's super quiet. Only complaint I have is the collection cup is hard to clean between the neck.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Great lil skimmer. Been running one in my 40g cube with light load. Pull lots of crap out. It's super quiet. Only complaint I have is the collection cup is hard to clean between the neck.
Ah, yes, cleaning the neck inside the cup is a little tough. I need to find the right brush for that.