Baller fish FS!

Yes, Mike from NY Aquatics really pissed off the market by selling Gems for 1k. Devaluation at it's finest.

A diver friend of mine who runs a small but high end fish collection store is getting a batch of 3" gem tang for $1200 to $1500 each. If anyone is interested pls lmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A diver friend of mine who runs a small but high end fish collection store is getting a batch of 3" gem tang for $1200 to $1500 each. If anyone is interested pls lmk.

Scott, I've always been curious about how much diver's or even the local natives get from these kind of fish. Not to get political, but I've seen quite a few Western guys running operations overseas and can't help to wonder what kind of cut locals get for their work. Yeah, I know, they're generating jobs, but I can't help to wonder...

Scott, I've always been curious about how much diver's or even the local natives get from these kind of fish. Not to get political, but I've seen quite a few Western guys running operations overseas and can't help to wonder what kind of cut locals get for their work. Yeah, I know, they're generating jobs, but I can't help to wonder...
Idk how much the locals get. I just know that my diver friend is a middle class man who runs a small biz and loves cheap ramen.

Scott, I've always been curious about how much diver's or even the local natives get from these kind of fish. Not to get political, but I've seen quite a few Western guys running operations overseas and can't help to wonder what kind of cut locals get for their work. Yeah, I know, they're generating jobs, but I can't help to wonder...[/quote

When I was running a station years ago in Tonga, the divers don't get much.. The real cost in the fish is freight. As an example:

A Tomato clown caught by the river lays

Last edited:
When I was running a station years ago in Tonga, the divers don't get much.. The real cost in the fish is freight.

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
I've brought fish back from Hawaii. I wonder how it would work to fly over to Mauritius and do some fishing myself and get a little vacation out of it too.

When I was running a station years ago in Tonga, the divers don't get much.. The real cost in the fish is freight. As an example:

A Tomato clown caught by the diver pays 25 cents
I would sell that fish to the wholesalers for $1 plus freight collect
Freight averaged about $5 for that same tomato clown
Wholesale to retailer is about $7-8
Retail that fish is now about $20
Beyond the rediculous freight charges (all fish fly from wherever they come from) there has to be an adjustment for dead loss.
When I was shipping fish, we were way less than 1% dead loss, but some locations and shippers can be as high as 25%
Factor that times the referenced $6 to wholesaler clown and stuff starts to get expensive quick.

Sounds like there is a ton of $ to be made when you look at the original 25 cents to the end $20, but most of the cost is absorbed by the airlines.
Water is heavy, heavy is expensive.

When looking at a fish that comes from Mauriatus, and how many flights that fish has taken to get here, and how many hands the fish has gone through once it is landed at the final destination, a $1000 price tag for a Gem is cheap..

Ive shipped from Hawaii too. $90 bucks for whatever I could cram in a 12x12x12 box... but shipping from across the globe? Jeez its got to be expensive. Btw has anyone ordered from ny aquatics? He seems like a good guy, but i have yet to pull the trigger

Ive shipped from Hawaii too. $90 bucks for whatever I could cram in a 12x12x12 box... but shipping from across the globe? Jeez its got to be expensive. Btw has anyone ordered from ny aquatics? He seems like a good guy, but i have yet to pull the trigger

Bought twice. Both times box came wet upon delivery. Not sure if it's the long distance shipping journey that broke the bag or else. Luckily fish made it, but the shipping problem has stopped me from ordering again.

Latest posts