What's the best store in OC for fish??

So I'll be looking to stock my tank in the next couple months. What's everyone's thoughts on the best fish store in OC for fish? I'd like to get everything at once from the same shop to start QT process. I'm out of the loop on where to go and who's got the healthiest livestock. I live in San Clemente, so the closer the better. Even ideas near Carlsbad/Oceanside if anyone knows. TIA :)

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
healthiest, i would say ali at amazing reefs. He carefully selects everything, but doesnt have a ton. For selection probably tongs or reef lounge.

I'm not sure about "the healthiest" as I've only got a couple fish from them, but I like Seaside Tropical in Huntington Beach. Almost every time I've gone, they have fish that you don't see every day and prices always seem reasonable. I'm out in the desert, so I'm not there that often, but for variety and quantity of fish, I can't think of another place that has more.

Well Tong's and Reef Lounge don't have a very good rep for healthy fish, plus personal experience. I've heard good things about Ali's. Maybe I'll see what he can do for a special order. Does anyone know if he does business with Sustainable Aquatics? I definitely want my new Clownfish from SA. I want Premium Snowflakes. Seaside I've never had good luck with. I definitely give Ali a call this week. Any other recommendations?

The one time I have been at Sea Side Tropical Fish, I was pretty impressed with the selection and prices. I would definitely pay them a visit.

Nowadays, I usually buy most my fish online. But I tend to blow money on the rare/finicky ones.

In my opinion, Tong has a very good selection of fish. They usually have 2 shipments per week. I have been having good experience with their fish. No sickness at all. Just few jumped out and died when I was not home. Lol
Sea Side Tropical Fish, I have heard a lot of good reviews about that store. I will give it a try when my tank is cycled.

Maybe I'll check out Seaside next week. Don't get me wrong, Ton's has a lot of stuff, but they don't keep the cleanest systems. I go there for other stuff, just not fish. Seaside didn't use to have very healthy fish either, but maybe they've cleaned up since I was there last?

In my experience I have a red flag check list I do when I buy a fish. I first ask the store to feed fish. Make sure you observe the fish when it eats and make sure it eats. Look for lumps in the stomach area. Look for ich or if it's darting or scratch on anything. Now if the fish don't eat make sure you have a QT to medicate. I don't QT my fish unless I'm in a gambling mood with a fish that has red flags. But when it comes to buying a fish these are my top 3 stores in OC.
1. seaside tropical fish Huntington Beach
2. Tongs tropical fish in Fountain Valley
3. Amazing aquarium in Orange has a small selection but good place.

If you shop somewhere else make sure you ask to feed, and take a few minutes to observe the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaside tropical in Huntington Beach would be my first stop ,then Tongs in Fountain Valley. There is a little shop in in Mission Viejo called Ocean's Tropical fish that is worth a visit too. It's a smaller shop but seems to have healthy livestock there. Age of Aquariums over in Long Beach is not that much further down the road and I would give them a visit too.

tongs has nice looking fish. But only for a few days if you know what I mean. After that you'll probably have to go buy another one. Reef lounge is expensive. Seaside has a good selection. Ali is nice but he doesn't have much fish.

Seaside tropical in Huntington Beach would be my first stop ,then Tongs in Fountain Valley. There is a little shop in in Mission Viejo called Ocean's Tropical fish that is worth a visit too. It's a smaller shop but seems to have healthy livestock there. Age of Aquariums over in Long Beach is not that much further down the road and I would give them a visit too.
I was going to Oceans the last 3 months, but a month ago I bought a fish there that ended up having Velvet. Lost my 6 year old Clowns that I loved, and my fiance's HUGE Starry Blenny. I barely saved my Lemonpeel. David knew he had Velvet and said nothing. Needless to say, I've got huge beef with that place. But thank you. AOA is a little far from me. I'm just a couple miles shy of Camp Pendelton.

And coral glazer in Tustin and coral oasis in Costa Mesa.

I'm probably heading over there Monday actually. Hoping the sale prices are still up. They never seem to have much for fish, but maybe they'll do a special order. Is Chad still around? The last few times I've been there or called he's never around.

I'm probably heading over there Monday actually. Hoping the sale prices are still up. They never seem to have much for fish, but maybe they'll do a special order. Is Chad still around? The last few times I've been there or called he's never around.
I haven't seen Chad for a while either but he is still around, just not at the shop as often. He is still on this site. Name is [MENTION=3382]Clifford[/MENTION] I think.

Eric is a good guy. Known and bought from him for more than a decade. Fair dealing small biz owner.

Sandbar has been in business at least 40 years, but Eric just bought the place within the last couple years. Do you mean you've been going there that long?

Latest posts