Excellent video about filter socks

i got tired of swapping out filter socks and using a DIY drip tray with a filter floss that i wash out once a week. this video is very informative, just wish i wasnt lazy with cleaning and replacing filter socks haha.

I'm getting a roller mat thing lol I'm way to busy to change twice a week or even once. In like [MENTION=989]babyjess210[/MENTION] i wait till it overflows lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why filter socks are like foot socks

1. If i dont change them out every 2-3 days it gets too funky
2. I buy them online in bulk, usually cheapos
3. I loose 1 of the pair, then end up mix matched
4. I use suspenders to hold them up
5. I wash them in bleach but they never end up tidy whitey
6. They get holes
7. My drain pipe tucks into them
8. They capture detritus and worms too
9. They only last about a year
10. They end up as puppets

Well, i find it hilarious that just yesterday, I decided to buy my first filter sock.

It is an interesting video.

I think I will probably stick with it, buy one more and just teach my kids how to do it.

I cannot do it twice a week, but I can add it to their sunday chores.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I think BRS is awesome to share these videos and to help us better understand our reef tanks. There are so many variations on maintaining reef tanks, filter socks vs no filter socks, skimmers vs no skimmers, on and on, all in an attempt to manage nutrients and export. I have changed out filter socks weekly for years. Twice a week sounds like so much more work but on the other hand I hate changing out GFO. I find it time consuming and messy to both clean out the reactor and rinse the GFO medium. Maybe I will try twice weekly filter sock change outs as an alternative. Thank you BRS for sharing the information

Latest posts