New Neptune 'Utility' Pump -- Heads Up

Hey Guys,

I picked up one of the new Neptune 'utility' pumps a few weeks ago to use for a filtration project. I originally thought it was going to be a good little pump for small water needs.

Well yesterday I come out and find it's not working.

I took it apart of find the center of the pump melted to the point it broke the impeller blades off and then seized.

I understand that all products have failures. But the impeller blades are very brittle. I'm concerned that anything could possible snap the blades.

Dave B

For anyone to really make any judgement, there really needs to be more information provided on how exactly you were using the pump. Would be unfortunate for this to turn into a reputation for this product as "a bad pump". Not saying anything other than it would be more helpful if you provided more details on what happened exactly. You mention being concerned with anything snapping the blades, well, really nothing should be allowed to come into contact with the pump blades other than water anyway, right?

having worked on commercial pumps, lots of damage can be done if something is sucked into the volute. I've seen everything from 2 x 4's to rocks and sand, do lots of damage to the bearings, seals, and the impellers. not saying foreign matter from your tank did the damage. the pump may have been shipped with something inside. if the impeller was rubbing on the volute you would have heard the noise. maybe if the pump was run dry, the heat could possibly have melted the impeller. in my opinion , that did not happen by itself. hope its covered under warrantee, because i will be looking to purchase a new pump in the near future.

Maybe Trump can persuade Neptune Systems to bring manufacturing back into the US.
Too expensive. Nobody would pony up the cash. I saw an awesome saying scrawled in the dust of a big rig today. "If you don't like big rigs stop buying sh**"

Latest posts