Qt sterilization, marine ich, UV, copper

So, I have a QT tank that had a Blue Hippo in it. The Tang is no longer in it. I treated it with copper and it was at approx . 04.

Do I wait for the copper to drop before using it as a QT again? Do I do a water change? Can I put my UV sterilizer in for a couple days without fish (cupramine turns toxic to fish under UV) and then do a water change and start using it as QT again?

Are the filter pads, trays and ceramic noodles in my canister that is running it fine? Should I run a cycle of bleach through the whole system?

How long must a QT tank run without fish in it before putting fish back in?

Thanks.

Sent from my 1+3t

Just put some carbon in your filter and it remove the Copper. Make sure to remove the Carbon if you want to add Cupramine for new fish though.

Just put some carbon in your filter and it remove the Copper. Make sure to remove the Carbon if you want to add Cupramine for new fish though.
Anything that is in the tank (parasites, etc) is dead due to the copper? It is safe to put stuff in the tank again? How long before I can put new fish in the QT tank?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Anything that is in the tank (parasites, etc) is dead due to the copper? It is safe to put stuff in the tank again? How long before I can put new fish in the QT tank?
Put it this way. When a fish is done in QT where does it go? You DT right? So whatever is in the QT is no longer harmful or else you wouldn't be moving that fish. And besides a proper QT is 6 weeks+ by then you can see what's wrong with the fish. And when doing WC you actually removing whatever is free floating and you replenish copper after every WC. So if you really want, drain the water and add water from your DT to the QT so there is more beneficial bacteria since copper does kill some of it and start all over. The one thing i wouldnt do is QT many fish or add fish while they are in QT. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Put it this way. When a fish is done in QT where does it go? You DT right? So whatever is in the QT is no longer harmful or else you wouldn't be moving that fish. And besides a proper QT is 6 weeks+ by then you can see what's wrong with the fish. And when doing WC you actually removing whatever is free floating and you replenish copper after every WC. So if you really want, drain the water and add water from your DT to the QT so there is more beneficial bacteria since copper does kill some of it and start all over. The one thing i wouldnt do is QT many fish or add fish while they are in QT. Hope this helps.

I follow your logic, but in the case of this fish, when it was done, it went in the trash can.

Sent from my 1+3t

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Honestly, i have no idea. It was the first fish I've ever done in qt. Everything was testing fine. I just know that it came in "fresh off the boat."

Sent from my 1+3t
How big is the tank?

Latest posts