Acid wash dry rock

So I'm gonna re do my aquascape. What do I need to buy? Basically how do I do it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muriatic acid, a tub big enough for your rock, and baking soda to neutralize it afterwards, thick gloves, face mask, safety goggles (unless you're careful not to splash it on your face/eyes).

Muriatic acid, a tub big enough for your rock, and baking soda to neutralize it afterwards, thick gloves, face mask, safety goggles (unless you're careful not to splash it on your face/eyes).
Where do I buy this acid?

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
They sell muriatic acid at home depot.
Also there is a good post in the DIY section.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Muriatic acid is dirty HCl (hydrochloric acid) with iron, sufur impurities, pH 1. You are essentially dissolving away the LR (that forms best at pH 8.3) you paid ~$3/lb to get rid of pests.

There was a thread about using saturated kalkwasser (pH12) to do a similar thing without possibly loosing LR weight.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013058

Likely acid will be more effective in killing hard pests but if you dunk and scrub in kalk, perhaps the result will be acceptable?

Muriatic acid is dirty HCl (hydrochloric acid) with iron, sufur impurities, pH 1. You are essentially dissolving away the LR (that forms best at pH 8.3) you paid ~$3/lb to get rid of pests.

There was a thread about using saturated kalkwasser (pH12) to do a similar thing without possibly loosing LR weight.

Likely acid will be more effective in killing hard pests but if you dunk and scrub in kalk, perhaps the result will be acceptable?
It's DR so it n I'm gonna epoxy LR with the DR.

are you bathing the live rock or dry rock? Make sure to remove all paly/zoa coral off of the rock if there is any. Be extremely careful if you are going to bath live rock. The fume is toxic.
Do it out door, use shoulder length gloves, pants/jean, shoe, wear mask and eye protection. Make sure no one is around when you do it. Have your garden hose on stand by.

are you bathing the live rock or dry rock? Make sure to remove all paly/zoa coral off of the rock if there is any. Be extremely careful if you are going to bath live rock. The fume is toxic.
Do it out door, use shoulder length gloves, pants/jean, shoe, wear mask and eye protection. Make sure no one is around when you do it. Have your garden hose on stand by.
I'm doing it on dead rock. I have a long drive way so I'm planning on doing it on that. **** is it that bad. Garden hose to rinse myself incase it splashes on me? Have baking soda right to neutralize the acid?

Interesting, didn't know that about murratic acid and HCl.

I acid washed with murratic acid before starting my tank up. It's messy, and stained my concrete because I didn't neutralize enough before draining.

Latest posts