JBJ 45 rl set up help/advice

bwitchn

I set up my JBJ 45 rl a week ago. It is going thru the cycle. Ammonia now is at 50

I modified the filtration and chambers based on Marine Depot's Tank Hack video as follows:

Left chamber:
Aquamaxx FR-S Filter Media Reactor w/ROX 0.8 Carbon

Return Chamber/Middle:
Far Left near left chamber: Aquamaxx FR-S Filter media Reactor with Phosphate Out PRO FGO Gilter Media

Replaced both standard pumps for 1 Tunze Silence Recirculation Water Pump with Insert Y-Fitting

Far right of middle return chamber - Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater

Right Chamber:
In-Tank Basket:
---Bottom and Middle chambers of InTank basket - Pond Matrix
---Top chamber of InTank Basket - Filter Pad

I have a ten gallon reservoir with RO water in the cabinet with a Smart ATO micro installed. The sensor is in the middle chamber.

I will be adding a protein skimmer. I had ordered the Aquamaxx HOB-1 but I'm concerned with overflow so I'm thinking of switching it to the Aquamaxx WS-1 In-Sump skimmer. It will have to be placed middle return chamber.

Does anyone have any advice as to this set up? I was concerned whether the InTank basket should be in the left chamber and the reactors in the right chambers. But does it matter?

Also, I notice there is good water flow in to the left and right chambers and out to the display tank from the returns. But when I look in the back chambers, the middle chamber water doesn't appear to have much flow and looks like it is just stale not moving.

Any thoughts? Advice? Concerns? Comments on the above?

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Mary

RichieE46

Hi Mary,

I have the same tank. Similar setup. I heard some people having issues with having protein skimmer in middle chamber. Generating bubbles and then going into return pump. I have never tried it so I cannot confirm. But you may want to investigate it.

I have the In-Tank basket on left chamber with filter floss/matrix.
The Aquamaxx FR-SE (HOB) on left side (more towards the center) with BRS GFO.
SICCE Silent return
Aquamaxx FR-SE on right side (more towards the center) with BRS Rox.
Tunze 9004 skimmer on far right chamber.
Heater/dosing hoses/ato/probes are in center chamber

RichieE46

I'll post a build thread. Been just lurking and buying corals from members. I think the Aquamaxx HOB-1 is probably one of the best skimmers you can get for our tank...I just can't stand how it looks. I just wanted a cleaner tank setup so I went with the 9004 instead

Aqua C remora is a fantastic choice for that tank. It is a HOB with an annoying look like all the HOB, but it is a truly phenomenal product.