Modifying tank stand to fit 90 gallon tank

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
Allrighty then....

I received a couple of items via ROAKs and need some advice.

The first is a 90 gallon tank (thanks gooli) and the second is a stand for a rimmed 90 gallon tank (fish_who? from RC) . Sounds good right? The sad part is that the tank is 0.5" longer than the flat area on top of the stand. There is some molding on the top edge of the stand that doesn't allow the tank to fit on the stand. So my question is: Would it be ok to cut off the top of the trim flush with the inset area, add a piece of plywood on the top stand and use it for my tank? There would only be a 1/8" overhand from the original top on the sides and back. I would also probably add some 2x4s or plywood to the back of the stand for additional support.

My gut feeling is that it isn't the best idea but I'm being a cheap bastard right now. Any ideas, comments, questions?

Allrighty then....

I received a couple of items via ROAKs and need some advice.

The first is a 90 gallon tank (thanks gooli) and the second is a stand for a rimmed 90 gallon tank (fish_who? from RC) . Sounds good right? The sad part is that the tank is 0.5" longer than the flat area on top of the stand. There is some molding on the top edge of the stand that doesn't allow the tank to fit on the stand. So my question is: Would it be ok to cut off the top of the trim flush with the inset area, add a piece of plywood on the top stand and use it for my tank? There would only be a 1/8" overhand from the original top on the sides and back. I would also probably add some 2x4s or plywood to the back of the stand for additional support.

My gut feeling is that it isn't the best idea but I'm being a cheap bastard right now. Any ideas, comments, questions?
I think you will be good with or without the added support since there will only be 1/4" or so on the over hang. Good idea on the 2x4 for support beam

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
I think you will be good with or without the added support since there will only be 1/4" or so on the over hang. Good idea on the 2x4 for support beam

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thank you sir!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I think that it would be fine but did you ever think of taking a router and taking a quarter of an inch off of each side.

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
I think that it would be fine but did you ever think of taking a router and taking a quarter of an inch off of each side.
Route it, or buy plywood and build the inset up.
Did both. Routed the top and added a sheet of plywood as well as some additional support. It's built like a tank and heavy as heck!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk