Where to buy those big square water bins that some use as sumps?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I cant even find a picture online so I'm sure i don't know the name of it. I think Reef Lounge uses them as sumps that sometimes hold nems and stuff under the display racks. [MENTION=6028]Fly5150[/MENTION] I think you had one you sold a while back? Know what they are referred to as? They are usually a whitish color.

I see them for sale used but not sure where to get them new if needed. Also if anyone has one for sale hit me up.

I cant even find a picture online so I'm sure i don't know the name of it. I think Reef Lounge uses them as sumps that sometimes hold nems and stuff under the display racks. [MENTION=6028]Fly5150[/MENTION] I think you had one you sold a while back? Know what they are referred to as? They are usually a whitish color.

I see them for sale used but not sure where to get them new if needed. Also if anyone has one for sale hit me up.
Titan bin. Still have it. You doing a remote sump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Planning on it in the future/ cooking some rock for a larger system and having somewhere to store coral if we find a new place here soon.

Shoot me a text if it's still for sale. I'll pick it up.

I think there is a place in IE an one in SD. Save you the arm and a leg that shipping will cost.
There is a place in LomaLina/Highland/SanBernardino on Mt. View, across the street from the Mountain View Generation station that sells them. THey have them in stacks about 20 high, exposed to the elements.

Do they hold water? i have no idea, but they are there, and plenty of them.

They are called Tomato Bins. The white ones that someone posted a link to are not the same size and not the same strength. Those will bow out alot if you fill them.

The tomato bins come in 2 colors - Gray and Tan. The Tan ones are thicker and stronger. The dims are 42x44x30(somethin)

I have several extras. They have been drilled. But they are easy to patch.

Dave B

They are called Tomato Bins. The white ones that someone posted a link to are not the same size and not the same strength. Those will bow out alot if you fill them.

The tomato bins come in 2 colors - Gray and Tan. The Tan ones are thicker and stronger. The dims are 42x44x30(somethin)

I have several extras. They have been drilled. But they are easy to patch.

Dave B
I have a white bin and it doesn't bow at all. It's a smaller size than the tomato bins but, it is a better fit for me. Those grey ones will pop from underneath if not supported. There is too much weight when filled and they have no support in the center of the bin. I wouldn't be surprised if the same company made them all. I believe Jason @Ellis Aquatics can get the bins for you.

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
Just a heads up, this is info I got from the supplier I bought my current bin from:

The original company who made "titan Bins" was going out of business and tried selling off the mold of the titan bin that is common at every store and wholesaler around. Apparently they wanted almost $50k for the patent and mold, and the company that now sells them did not want to pay for it and made an exact identical mold, minus the center foot (which titan bins had). Without this center foot the bin can not be filled more than I believe half way roughly (it holds 240-250 gallons, but can only support around 1000-1200 lbs). I have had our current bin for about 3 years roughly and supported the middle with a 4x4. About 6 months ago, even with this support the center of the bin blew out and I had to do a patch with a piece of acrylic across the bottom. The center stayed elevated and edges obviously were in place but in between about 14" from the front side or 10" from center it cracked.

All in all what I am saying is we use this bin for our Live Rock and it does get a good beating from customers dropping and throwing rock. With that being said I would expect ours to be damaged must faster than someone using it just as a sump, but these new bins are 100% not as good as the old titan bins, but to my knowledge there is no longer a new option for an actual titan bin.

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
We had a similar experience with one of the white ones. It was great for a while until the bottom developed multiple fine stress cracks and we noticed small amounts of water underneath. Like JDEllis, we had built a small platform out of 4x 4x4's and a piece of ply to help support the center, as we predicted something like that would have happened. Made sure it was not too high and didnt exert any additional pressure on the center. Didn't help. Never again.. no thx.

Last time i checked, patching these bins is NOT easy, aside from plugging an existing bulkhead. Iirc, They are made out of hdpe and require plastic welding, which I dont have experience with. Not to say it cant be done, and I'd imagine a plastic place that repairs RV holding tanks could probably easily accomplish what needs to be done. I do have a black bin that has a hack job patch job with silicone and it's been holding for a couple years, full of liverock outside in the elements, but there's no way I would trust it anywhere inside a structure.. 200+ gallons of water is no joke if the patch was to let go.

Last edited:

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks for all the input everyone. Great to know that some of the newer ones have the potential to crack, that would be a disaster. Its main purpose will be to cook some rock for a future build and have a place to move coral/current live rock when we eventually move. Just so i dont need to rush the tank setup so much.

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
Google rubbermaid stock tank on amazon. They're not horribly expensive and could be shipped to your doorstep for a fraction of what the tomato bin would cost. In my opinion, they are much more structurally sound for our application, and could be linked up if need be. Afterwards, you wouldn't have issues selling it as people frequently use them to wash their large dogs in.. ie: mobile groomers. Just a thought.. good luck with your search.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Matt, i have. 50g Rubbermaid stock tank if you decide you want one. Letme know i can even deliver

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Matt, i have. 50g Rubbermaid stock tank if you decide you want one. Letme know i can even deliver

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks Alan, I have a large rubbermaid in the backyard if I need additional room after the titan. If you're in the area shoot me a text and cruise by though.

thunhi

You could get something at a hydroponics shop. Hydroponic shops are everywhere, just look them up on google. The sumps they sell for their growing schemes are pretty sturdy. They are kind of costly but very strong. And you would not have to wait for the mail man to bring you something, since just about every city has hydroponic shops.

Latest posts