Sump offline

I am planning to re-do the baffles of my DIY 40gal breeder sump due to the following reasons

1. To lower the water level. It is currently at 13inches and water gets to about 1.5inches below the top when i turn off the return pump (poor planning on my end). I would also like to remove the skimmer stand to have more room up top which means easier access to the collection cup.

2. Adjust the first chamber to make the skmimmer fit. Skimmer is currently in the second chamber and refugium in the first.

My questions are...How many days does it take for the aquarium safe silicone to fully cure? How many days can I go with only a heater and 2 powerheads in the display without having any adverse affect to my livestock (9 fishes and corals)? Below is a fts of my display to give you an idea of what is in my dt. Thanks in advance!!

Silicone usually cure in 24hr depending on temp.

You can always put the heater inside your DT until your sump is ready

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I would look for another 40 gal used and just switch out when ready to go to make sure have time and everything is good

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I can hook you up with a new trigger sump

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silicone usually cure in 24hr depending on temp.

You can always put the heater inside your DT until your sump is ready

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I do plan to put the heaters in the DT

I would look for another 40 gal used and just switch out when ready to go to make sure have time and everything is good

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
This is probably the safest route however it will be an added cost and more time consuming as I would need to replace all baffles which includes the drain and filter sock section as opposed to only replacing 4. As you can see on the pix below, I also did not use unions (to save cost) when I did my plumbing so I'll have to cut and replace some of the down pipes if I need to replace the sump :(

I can hook you up with a new trigger sump

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks Alan...always willing to give great deals as usual... but I cant afford a trigger sump. This is why I made my own diy sump :)

Like stated before it takes 24 hours to fully cure. Lots of people run tanks without sumps. If it's longer than a week just test and maybe do a bigger water change if necessary.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts