Nitrate has me baffled

organism

2020 POTM
Last edited:
The hobby's leading chemists and PhD's say yes, so... yes it is.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/10/aafeature

There's a few dozen more articles but you get the picture. Reef tanks are weird and unfortunately Murphy's Law attacks us from all angles :(
Those articles or a decade old. Even in Juliens article, I want plausible explanations to the issue. Joe Yaiullo better explained it when he said OTS should be renamed LARS. Lazy Azz Reefer Syndrome! It's just another excuse that hobbyist use to explain why they are killing things. Hobbyists always want to point to a product or some other reason to explain their failure. It would be best if they just looked in the mirror. Over time we just get lazy.

Unfortunately this hobby is full
of a lot of people who want instant gratification. That's why they are in and out of the hobby so quickly. Properly care for your tank and it will provide you decades of enjoyment. That is a fact!

Try zeomix rock from AF and zeobak and zeostart3 from KZ the best way to reduce nitrate is to eliminate ammonia. No ammonia then no nitrite therefore no nitrate the AF zeo mix rock doesn't need to shake everyday so less maintenance. Zeobak N zeostart3 also reduce ammonia and nitrite. My tank is 400g volume and I don't run GFO or carbon and my nitrate N phosphate are both 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there an answer to how much he's feeding and what is he feeding? How big is your clean up crew? Stop throwing chemicals at a recurring problem and start from the beginning. No matter how many chemicals you throw at it you still need a proper feed cycle/clean up crew and bacteria. If you don't have an algae problem then what's the harm? Your corals are fine?

Latest posts