Bio Pellets

I have run pellets for years and wonder if it really makes a difference. Would like to hear other reefers thoughts on subject. Also if not pellets carbon or GFO what else would you run in reactor? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to run pellets all the time also, for around 5 years. I stopped using them because they would strip my water of nutrients, although when I started the hobby it was thought to be good to have low nutrients. I now have higher nutrients and my sps color up and grow way better than before. I guess it all depends on what type of tank you want to run. I am about to put pellets on my seahorse tank with a nano reactor I just bought. I want to keep their water clean because I feed heavy, mysis twice daily. As for my sps tank, I run a tiny amount of Gfo to keep the po4 at a desirable level and sometimes I'll run carbon in emergencies or randomly to make my water column sparkle.

I have a 180 with heavy bio load. I run bio pellets, refugium, and gfo. With pellets I am able to keep my nitrates between 2.5-5ppm with minimal water changes.

So I have a large tank as well. I feed my fish twice a day frozen and once pellets. I have no algae issues. I do 30gal water changes twice a month. If u ran another substrate what would it be?

Thx I'm going to take my reactor off today. I also run a little GFO and a little carbon.

Don't let my post change your mind on pellets. It's all circumstantial, it seems like you have a large tank with a heavy bio load. Pellets are great at keeping nitrates at bay! What are your numbers with the pellets? My tank is a light bio load, which I can hit my target numbers with water changes and gfo.

All my numbers are zero that's why I was thinking of taking off for a while or maybe cut down on time that I run it. Plus my froth isn't where I want it to be.

All my numbers are zero that's why I was thinking of taking off for a while or maybe cut down on time that I run it. Plus my froth isn't where I want it to be.

Maybe cut the amount of pellets in the reactor down in half. I've always felt the manufactures recommended dosage was too high. Or add a few more fish.

More fish would be good
I have
3 chromis, 2 clowns, 4 tanga, 1 squareback anthias, flame hawk, green wrasse, 2 cardinals, and small eel. Any fish suggestions?