RichieE46 - JBJ 45RL Rimless Build Thread

RichieE46

Rich's JBJ 45 Rimless Build

About
Did freshwater tanks for a few years (Planted/CO2 dosing/Dwarf shrimps). Stopped the hobby for a couple years and then decided I wanted to try a saltwater setup. Started with a Biocube 29 (Used from here) to test the waters on how difficult it'll be and if I can keep corals alive. I did pretty well on that tank and decided to go with a more high end setup. Unfortunately I cannot have a large reef tank due to space constraints so I am stuck with a nano tank and will have to just be more selective with stocking choices.

Goals:
  • Clean build/setup aesthetically
  • "Open" style aquascape (Don't want to overload the tank with a lot of rock)
  • Nice variety of mid-end corals (Can't afford anything too rare/exotic)
  • Automation/Remote control (Due to work and really long shifts, I am not home for long periods)

Setup
  • AI Hydra 52 HD Black w/ D-D Slimline bracket
  • 2x EcoTech MP10wES
  • Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer (Right chamber)
  • 2x AquaMaxx FR-SE HOB media reactor with Cobalt MJ900 (Left Center and Right Center with BRS GFO and ROX)
  • Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 Return pump
  • Tunze 3155 Osmolator
  • InTank media basket with filter floss and SeaChem Matrix
  • ArtfullyAcrylic custom acrylic screen lid
  • Apex Classic with BRS Lab-grade pH/ORB and temp, Apex WMX, BO box
  • Apex DOS with Dual Reservoir
  • Cobalt Neo-Therm 150W Heater
  • Eheim Auto-feeder

Fish
  • Helfrichi firefish
  • DaVinci Ocellaris clownfish
  • Black Ice Snowflake Ocellaris clownfish
  • Six-line Wrasse
  • Pajama Cardinal
  • Mandarin Goby (Yes I know, my success probability is low, but it felt like my tank is a better home than the LFS. Been dumping 16oz bags of live copepods every 3 weeks. Expensive method but I am hoping it'll work. This is my favorite fish)

RIP: Tailspot Blenny - Mistake early on. I should have fed frozen mysis more often. New Spectrum pellets get eaten by clownfish so quickly that blenny barely got much food

Corals
(Only listing some of the more "expensive" ones)
  • Velociraptor Paly
  • Rasta Zoas
  • BBEB Zoas
  • ASD Last Sun Acan
  • Trachy
  • Rainbow Wellso
  • Favia colony
  • Aussie leather

LOG
  • Dec 2016 - Tank filled, fishless cycle began with ammonia dosing
  • Mid Jan 2017 - Tank finished cycling about 6-7 weeks in
  • End of Jan 2017 - Transferred livestock from BioCube - including torch/hammers/zoas/Plate/Teal trumpet
  • Feb 2017 - Purchased trachy, couple acan frags, and aussie crown leather
  • May 2017 - Rainbow Wellso added - Thanks to Peter from CK Fishworld West Covina
    Added Ricordea given by friend
    Added 3 polyp Velociraptor paly - Thanks to BluRocket3
    Added BBEB colony and Radioactive Dragon eye colony - Thanks to theMerchant
    Added Last Sun Acan, Eternal Warrior Acan, Acid Core Blasto, Evil Creation button scoly - From ASD

*Note: All photos taken via Samsung Note 5 or S8 Plus*

RichieE46

This is probably one of my favorite pics - My favorite fish (Mandarin goby) with blood fire shrimp in the back and the Cardinal giving a WTF look at the top...

dude nice setup rich!! Would love to see photos of that new hammer you got tho����!! Raptor palys looking sweet!!

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
looking good! very well thought out. I guess the planted tank background helped.
Love the lps

Last edited:

RichieE46

So I was able to buy a JBJ 1/10th chiller for pretty cheap on the forums...and tbh they are pretty ugly looking imo. So I decided to take it apart and cleaned everything.

Also, as a project, I repainted the chiller's front grille/digital display to be gloss black & the casing was plasti-dipped in Matte Black. I took the top warning sticker off and used bondo to fill the dip in the center and sanded it down to smooth it out.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I cleaned my used chiller also, good jib taking it apart.
Be sure to back flush the chiller with some vinegar water

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RichieE46

Thanks Alan for the tip. I did do that. I ran it for an hour with vinegar water then ran it for another hour back flushing. There were some disgusting things that came out. It was filthy. I'm certain it had stagnant water for a long time.

How's your tank?

RichieE46

Well the time has come for me me to shut my tank down. Been too busy working long shifts and I may start my grad program this Fall so I'll be starting a thread on everything.

RichieE46

Thank you all for your support. This forum has helped me tremendously with this hobby and I hope to be back in the hobby later on. Thanks Alan/Kyle and the other SCR members for the help.

Latest posts