Sand size

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
Is Carib seas sugar size oolite sand to fine to be in a 70 gallon running 2 MP40 QD's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
are you scared of it blowing around? I would base that question on how much flow you are going to be running in the tank. are they going to be on low settings or full blast, also location of the pumps.

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
are you scared of it blowing around? I would base that question on how much flow you are going to be running in the tank. are they going to be on low settings or full blast, also location of the pumps.
Yes I'm concerned about the sand constantly blowing around and bare spots being created. My tank is 95% sps so they are up around 40% right now with frags, will increase as they become colonies.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
are you doing sand for looks, or other purpose?

Yes I'm concerned about the sand constantly blowing around and bare spots being created. My tank is 95% sps so they are up around 40% right now with frags, will increase as they become colonies.

I would stay away from sugar size and go with special reef grade. I've got the special reef grade and it still sometimes blows around with my MP40.

i have a bag of 40 lbs of dried sand a little thicker left over I have 20 bucks or so

I did the fine oolite in my 90 with a 20lb bag.

I also run an mp40.

I used the oolite as a topping above 30lbs of aragonite, and 30 of crushed coral. My CUCs, the first week, turned the sand almost completely upside down.

However, during that time, the mp40 never made it a problem.

Occasionally, my florida fighting conch snail will find something that hasnt been turned and send it back thriugh the turbulence, and it does not seem to become a problem at all.

Latest posts