Thinking about an upgrade

So my wood tank has been up and running for about a year now and I'm thinking about an upgrade. Mostly because of a few things I don't like, one being 32" high. The other is how I set up the closed loop. So I'm thinking about 96" long, 26 or 28" high. Any suggestions on width? I'm thinking 36" wide, anyone have any input? It will be another wood tank, with another foam rock wall.

36" or even 48" would be awesome. I would also do 26" high. Deeper than that you have to go swimming.. the added depth ftb makes taller even more unmanageable

24" is the max height I, personally, ever go.

it is the furthest down i can go with my arms to my shoulders without swimming, and it really provides just enough room for real top, mid and bottom lines for the tank and its denizens.

As far as width, i have always been a huge fan of wide tanks over slender ones. Nothing dries me nuts more than a tank that is taller than it is wide - even for discus. It is just an aesthetic that I've never enjoyed, so typically anything 24 inches to 36 is best, if the room it will be in can handle it.

I also do not like too tall of stands.

I have kids, and their favorite activity is to watch the invertebrates wander around the tank, and any stand taller than 30" is way too high for them to enjoy this. Unfortunately, any stand less than this can handle almost no sump or bottom panel maintenance, so it is a tricky situation going that little without extending the footprint of the stand itself in order to account for it.

Sounds to me like you already have what you want in mind.

With that added length, I would go with 28" or higher to keep it more proportional. Go as wide as you can, 36" min. 48" would be awesome. You can use grabbers for reach and if u have access to all four sides it helps a lot too.

Thanks everyone. Looks like 96Lx36Wx26H is what I'm going to go with. Still working on a layout for the closed loop. I'm going to use a reeflo dart with dual 1.5 inlets and 5 outlets. I think mounted directly under the tank I should get pretty close to 3000gph. So far I will reuse the Laguna 2400gph pump unless I can find something with some more kick to it at a reasonable price.

Latest posts