Clown fish need some help

Not sure if this is brook or ich. I do see spots on the fins and on the body as well. Fish is breathing heavier than normal. I have formalin and copper so can do any treatment as well as qt
It is the fish in the back in the picture. You can see what I see on where he has black

Attachments

Update

did 50 min formalin dip yesterday with 7-8 drops in 1/2 gallon and immidietly after the fish body had no more of those hazy dots treated QT with 8 drops in 7g. so far fish is looking WAY better.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Hope they are doing better. Usually clowns are less susceptible to ick from what i read.
How are your other fish?
Did you get an anemone for them yet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a disease. Like what [MENTION=11086]theMerchant[/MENTION] said, clowns are less likely to get ich. Is that a torch coral I see? Torch coral will sting clown fish and the injuries will look like ich.

Hope they are doing better. Usually clowns are less susceptible to ick from what i read.
How are your other fish?
Did you get an anemone for them yet?

Well that tang I bought from Ellis died as it had a whole mess of ich. Thinking back in the same tank he had the tangs almost every clown had brook. So it must have brought it along. Clowns are doing amazing I have treated all 3 of them. They are eatting like pigs swimming actively. So far I have done 2 dips and after the first dips I saw the skin improve dramatically. I'm almost positive it was brook and not ich. What is your guys opinion on paragaurd? I hear it cures both ich and brook and is safer than coper and formalin.

I don't think it's a disease. Like what [MENTION=11086]theMerchant[/MENTION] said, clowns are less likely to get ich. Is that a torch coral I see? Torch coral will sting clown fish and the injuries will look like ich.
It is a torch. But the spots were towards the top of the fish and it was making the sharp black color look hazy. That with the hard breathing was telling me probably brook. I'm jus happy I got them threw this :)

Yeah. That was years ago. I don't have that pair anymore. I used stress zyme for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Antonio, glad your clowns are doing better. The yellow tang i got from you was bullied for the first 2 weeks by my purple tang, better now.

Antonio, glad your clowns are doing better. The yellow tang i got from you was bullied for the first 2 weeks by my purple tang, better now.

Haha ya at least he is settled in now. That was a really healthy specimen. I miss him lol I'm just happy these fish are on Thier way. After this treatment I plan to run the DT fallow using paragaurd in qt.

Hey Antonio, I would recommend the copper treatment (cupramine is the only copper I use) if things haven't improved. Brook and Ich are both parasites and formalin will not kill off the parasites. Clowns can build up a slight immunity to the parasites to where you may not see any white specs on them but the parasite continues to live in the tank until something lowers their immune system and then it attacks again. Problem with this is that this may give the parasite a chance to build up stronger and become more effective/deadly. Ultimately if you have corals in your DT you'll need to leave the DT fish free for the parasite to die off. I believe this is a period of 6-8 weeks...

Also, clowns are extremely vulnerable to ich and brook... I guess it may look different if you're comparing it to how often tangs get it, but in no way are clowns more immune. I believe you have my number? If you have more questions/issues let me know?

Hey Antonio, I would recommend the copper treatment (cupramine is the only copper I use) if things haven't improved. Brook and Ich are both parasites and formalin will not kill off the parasites. Clowns can build up a slight immunity to the parasites to where you may not see any white specs on them but the parasite continues to live in the tank until something lowers their immune system and then it attacks again. Problem with this is that this may give the parasite a chance to build up stronger and become more effective/deadly. Ultimately if you have corals in your DT you'll need to leave the DT fish free for the parasite to die off. I believe this is a period of 6-8 weeks...

Also, clowns are extremely vulnerable to ich and brook... I guess it may look different if you're comparing it to how often tangs get it, but in no way are clowns more immune. I believe you have my number? If you have more questions/issues let me know?
Ya i have your number still ;) i have cupermine on hand so I guess after this formalin treatment we will begin coper. I though coper wouldn't treat brook?

Ya i have your number still ;) i have cupermine on hand so I guess after this formalin treatment we will begin coper. I though coper wouldn't treat brook?
No its one of the only thing that does. Also, anything that is coral safe aka Prazi Pro does not treat ich or brook. Some clownfish people swear by it, and while it may kick it back a bit, it does not eradicate it and the parasite will usually return. You should also QT your new fish before adding them to your display to avoid having to clear out the main Display.

Latest posts