help!!!!!! nitrates

Wes

water changes are actually pretty ineffective at reducing nitrates... a 10% w/c would take you from 30 to 27. Larger water changes are helpful, but IMO it's best to attack the root of the problem. examine how much and what you're feeding and, generally, cut back. Make sure your skimmer is functioning correctly. Grow macro algae, or consider a deep sandbed somewhere in your system (a remote DSB is usually easier long term)

goth2o

if you have salt water on hand id change 15 gallons. when you change it clean your live rock of any debrit left over food maybe if you have any canister type filters clean out. depending on how much if any at all grunge you got dont remove to much at once

goth2o

next day after changing water 15 gallons check nitrates change another 10-15 gallons. every thing wes listed is a good way to keep it in check

goth2o

imo high nitrates is from system over load or your not cleaning filtration/ doing water changes religiosly for your tank. stay on top of it good luck

b_shady

You can try a meadia reactor with nitra-zorb or go cheaper with a nitrate filter pad remover and cut a piece to size and through it in your sump or filter.

You could always try 15 things at once, decide what you want to attribute your success to and then criticize the rest; this is a forum after all. J/K

Seriously, I've been struggling with nitrates for a while but they have been getting better since I switched to better quality foods. I'm sure they would be better/not a problem if I fed less often but they keep looking at me with those big fishy eyes and I just can't help it.

Wes

pads/removers are a poor choice IMO. best to get at the root of the problem at work to fix it there.

in the long run, w/c are not likely to be a solution in and of themselves.

Latest posts