Reef safe magnets

I am looking to build a couple simple things

First thing I need are completely reef safe magnets.

Home depot sells some in their hardware/fastener section. Some are black, some are metallic

Are any of these reef safe?

I need to actively have them in the water for long periods of time.

Has anyone used a magnet that they have purchased elsewhere with good results?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

You can use those. However I would plastic coat them (couple coats) before getting them wet..
Neodymium N52 is super strong

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You can use those. However I would plastic coat them (couple coats) before getting them wet..
Neodymium N52 is super strong

Plastic cooating is a great idea.

I used to dip ends of tools, but I've never completely submerged something.

I imagine double or triple dipping would be good to make sure my utensils don't impede a coat

What I did, was us the end of a flathead screw as my post, then flip once the end is cured.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Any way to construct a bracket to hang on the tank, rather than a magnet? I don't think its a matter of if but when any magnet will fail / rust / etc. As long as you are checking them regularly, probably not a big deal. But a lot of times magnets are rusting on the inside even when they get in cased in plastic or rubber.

Cobalt magnets are reef safe. Neodymium magnets are not. You don't have to coat cobalt magnets and they will not rust or corrode. This is the same magnet material used in Eheim and Maxijet pumps. Resisting corrosion is a basic property of cobalt magnets.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Cobalt magnets are reef safe. Neodymium magnets are not. You don't have to coat cobalt magnets and they will not rust or corrode. This is the same magnet material used in Eheim and Maxijet pumps. Resisting corrosion is a basic property of cobalt magnets.
That is a great piece of information. Cobalt magnets!!!!!

That is a great piece of information. Cobalt magnets!!!!!
Seriously.

I did not get a chance to respond to this earlier, but this is a wonderfully amazing piece of information.

They are ridiculously expensive (compared to corroding alternatives) , which actually justifies why the existing products are so expensive for what I want to do, but being a DIYer, I am just going to do it custom, anyway.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Check out K J Magnetics,
I bought some magnets from them with plactic already encapsulated. It was even in the clearance page

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts